FEZ Cerberus and FEZ Cerb40, small low-cost open source .NET Gadgeteer mainboards

Hi Joe and Gus,

congratulations on the new hardware!

I am glad that you have chosen Cortex-M microcontrollers, and our [italic]NETMF for STM32[/italic] port as basis for your firmware. With it, we hoped to enable more hardware choices for NETMF projects, based on STM32. It is good to see the first fruits of this effort 8)

After a few other STM32F1 / STM32F2 / STM32F4 boards to which we adapted our port, such as ST’s [italic]STM32F4Discovery[/italic] kit, this gives us another hardware alternative for our (mainly) software engineering business.

I am particularly glad that your new products support both plain vanilla NETMF and also .NET Gadgeteer :slight_smile:

Cuno

PS
We plan to release the STM32F2 / STM32F4 variant of [italic]NETMF for STM32[/italic] in Q2 2012, again under the Apache 2.0 license.

Cuno Pfister | Oberon microsystems AG | www.gsiot.info

If I understand right if we already have “STM32F4 Discovery kit” we can use Cerberus FW on it?

Yes, assuming the FW is working and you know how to upload it to your starter kit.

You will have to recompile as the chip on the Cerberus is 64 pin, and on the Discovery kit is a 100 pin chip…

If you don’t need the other pins then you might be able to get away with the binary image…

Great! We have done plenty of work already so you can extend of what we have and gave back some too. This is a great example for everyone to see how open-source really works. Give some and get some, we all win. We will be cleaning up the code and uploading is ASAP.

Welcome to the community Cuno and we look forward to seeing more coding and more books :slight_smile:

[quote]You will have to recompile as the chip on the Cerberus is 64 pin, and on the Discovery kit is a 100 pin chip…

If you don’t need the other pins then you might be able to get away with the binary image…[/quote]

That’s accurate as far as I understand it. The Cerberus FW would know how to talk to certain pins, the 100-pin variant has those same pins, plus more. It shouldn’t be a huge change to add the 100-pin variant’s pins to the Cerberus FW, and once that’s done, it could still be loaded on Cerberus (simply some pins wouldn’t have any effect).

I’ve added links to technical documentation on the Cerberus developer wiki page: GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software

How ASAP is ASAP? ;D

Then I can finally see what I did wrong with my port, and get the flash drivers etc… ;D

BTW, Gus, my Cerberus is V1.0 and it has no Boot pins. How do I put it in boot loader mode? :slight_smile:

I think we now need a Porting forum…

Where do I file bugs for the MF porting environment?

Pin9 socket 8

[quote]I think we now need a Porting forum…

Where do I file bugs for the MF porting environment?[/quote]

We do have native/beta forums which fit our needs best. Part of releasing the code is releasing plan so we all can work on it without adding extra unneeded work for maintenance. We also want to add as much as we can to simplify it for contributors to dig in.

…working on it so please stay tuned.

No Gus, I don’t mean bugs in the code. I’m having building issues on a new box. setenv_gcc doesn’t set up the path properly. Where do I report this?

Netmf Codeplex?

http://netmf.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic

Recently got a STM32F4_Discovery board to play with and just as I began thinking in the general direction of a NETMF port, I found the all new GHI Cerberus boards.

Ordered 2 x Cerb40 a couple of minutes ago, really like the formfactor!

I would love to see the Cerberus FW running on the STM32F4_Discovery as well…

Welcome to the club! It is same firmware on both boards

As soon as the FW is available, it should be VERY easy to run on the Discovery board… should be able to flash the same file, in fact, if I understand the whole thing correctly.

Not really. The code will need some changes. For example external clocks are different.

I would recommend not changing the firmware. Instead change the crystal to 12mhz

I think there is a typo in the description of the Cerb40, it says it is 1.2" long. I suspect is is probably closer to 2.1" long :slight_smile:

Where do you see that? The two parts, STM32F405RG (Cerberus) and STM32F407VG (Discovery) share a datasheet: STM32F405xx/STM32F407xx and no mention is made of any differences in the clocks for the two.

I am talking about external crystal.

I am not sure how these numbers made it there! It is 2.0 x 0.75

Thanks Jeff