FEZ Cerberus and FEZ Cerb40, small low-cost open source .NET Gadgeteer mainboards

End of Match according to the wiki page:

Do it. Once you’ve had Gadgeteer you won’t want to go back :wink:

@ Architect,
Bummer missed that… :frowning:

WOW! this is seriously coooooooool. Once again GHI have out done themselves :slight_smile:

What’s the benefit to GHI to release these as OSH?

If you buy a Spider it will just work out of the box. If you buy a Hydra there are still issues. If you buy a Ceb. you will have even more issues.

Is it just the reduction in man-hours to get the firmware going? Is it the community good will? Reduced support expenses?

awesome devices awesome price point, what more can you say. And GHI really are stepping up to the mark with supporting the community with these offerings, OSHW and community assisted firmware, too cool !

Is the end of March the ETA for .NETMF 4.2 too?

Spider is based on EMX that is much more mature product which has been in productions for some time now. Hydra on other hand is very “young”. It will have the same quality may be even better because it is OSHW and there are much more people pocking around the code other than GHI.

Give it some time. :wink:

yeah, order placed! One of each is on their way to Missouri!!

[quote]Spider is based on EMX that is much more mature product which has been in productions for some time now. Hydra on other hand is very “young”. It will have the same quality may be even better because it is OSHW and there are much more people pocking around the code other than GHI.

Give it some time. [/quote]

I’m certainly not going anywhere - I’m firmly in the GHI camp :wink:

Just wondering what the benefit is to GHI — quicker time to market? reduced costs - and therefore reduced prices, which is good for us??

(removed due to me answering my own stupid question :-[)

Gus’ wife didn’t eventually see Arduino-like board :’(

Well, just look at this thread… Us crazy people are chompin’ at the bit to buy and start testing a board that GHI isn’t even going to release software for until the end of March. They’ll get hundreds of free debugging hours from us before that software is released and possibly some OSS contributions in the meantime to include in the release. It’s a win-win for everyone.

I’m curious… The Joystick module says it won’t be available until March 22nd. Does this mean if we order the Cerberus kit that it will not ship until sometime after the 22nd or do you already have the kits stocked with Joysticks and that’s why there aren’t any available to buy alone?

That’s a plus, in my book. The Arduino form factor is the worst of all worlds (too big if you don’t need USB and/or power, and even if you do, and non-standard header spacing makes it a pain to work with.

The Gadgeteer form factor paired with a cheap and accessible module like the Cerb40 is the ideal combo, in my book.

As for the OSHW question, part of it probably is that GHI is building on Oberon’s work with the STM32 port already. It’s a great thing for them to do.

The non-standard header spacing is pretty easy to deal with, (big) power available for shields is a plus for me. USB connector could have been a smaller one, indeed.

Anyway, I completely agree that the Cerb40 will be perfect with its DIP40 format. It will be easy to solder on custom “shields” or boards.
It’s only that I was waiting for a stronger sister for the Panda II board. But it seems that Gadgeteer will be the main line of products in the (near) future, so I will have to do with it.

I quite like the FEZ Cerb40 in particular. I think the price (Compared to the FEZ Cerberus) is still a little too high to use it as disposably as it could be though. (For example, using them as small sensor / control nodes on a CAN bus network around the house.)

Absolutely great-looking product! About to order the Cerb40 variant soon :).

BTW @ Gus: For what it’s worth, in the pictures of the Cerberus mainboard (e.g. http://www.ghielectronics.com/images/catalog/349-0_large.jpg), there are a few bent header pins… but I guess these are the result of extensive testing :wink:

To further answer my OSHW question

From the announcement:

I bet you’ll see an Arduino compatible shield for the Cerb40 pop up very quickly that you just tack the Cerb40 to and BOOM you have a 168MHz arduino compatible form factor board! :wink: