Expanding to Arduino and other platforms

Our Fast & Easy (FEZ) product line has been helping professionals, educators and tinkerers for the past 3 years. We mainly used .NET Micro Framework to allow users to program the devices in C# and VisualBasic. The hardware was also standardized to the open .NET Gadgeteer specifications. With the ever expanding list of modules that can be plugged into our FEZ family products, we are working on expanding the mainboard to include some lower cost options and some high end options. All these options are grouped under Gadgeteering on our online catalog. The Gadgeteering category branches into three platforms, Arduino-Compatible, .NET Gadgeteer and Linux-Mac-Win. All those platforms work with the modules listed under Gadgeteering and we even include laser-cutting service and other hardware to help you build a professional looking product.

Introducing the Arduino-compatible FEZ Medusa!

Going live today, on the crowd funding KickStarter website, is our all new Arduino-compatible FEZ Medusa, starting at only $10. Just like before, this product is Fast & Easy to work with. It is compatible with our modular hardware, which also ships with the complete software driver and libraries for a true plug and play platform.

Being Arduino-compatible, allows FEZ Medusa to be easily programmed using the Arduino IDE, which runs on Windows, Linux and Mac. A user will only need to plug in the needed modules to the compatible sockets and then include that modules driver in the IDE and the module is ready to be used. No datasheets to open, no schematics to read. But what about advanced users who are interested in tweaking and modifying the hardware or the software? Since FEZ Medusa is open source, where the hardware and the software are provided free of charge, even for commercial use, advanced users can still dig into the drivers sources and read the schematics to tweak or completely modify the software and hardware to fit their needs.

FEZ Medusa comes in three flavors, ranging from the $10 FEZ Medusa Mini to the socket-loaded FEZ Medusa S12 and FEZ Medusa Shield.

Plug and play sensors for Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, laptops, tablets and phones!

We did not stop at expanding on the lower-end, we also expanded on the higher-end, where users require 1Ghz or more of processing power. The all new FEZ Lynx is a gadgeteering mainboard that works with the same plug and play modules. Using a USB cable, FEZ Lynx accepts commands over USB to access the connected modules. The same software developed for FEZ Medusa will also run on the system that will command FEZ Lynx, like a Raspberry Pi. An example may be a laptop that is mounted on a robot, which uses Microsoft Kinect for object detection and then the same laptop uses FEZ Lynx to command the Motor Control Module to move the robot, and command the relay module to control some lights.

FEZ Lynx is a stretch goal to the FEZ Medusa campaign. Please visit KickStarter to learn more about FEZ Medusa and FEZ Lynx.

KickStarter : An Arduino-compatible, electronic building block system! by GHI Electronics, LLC — Kickstarter
Gadgeteering : https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/category/517
Arduino-Compatible : https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/category/516
Linux-Mac-Win : https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/category/526

11 Likes

Can you guys please kindly post your questions on kickstarter so others can benefit from your questions? We would really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thanks to the community for continuously pushing us to work hardware and thanks for all the great feedback we always get. A special thanks to the insiders who helped us in testing and evaluating FEZ Medusa.

I say Gadgeteering is the future, what do you say?

@ Gary - Congrats!

And…backed:

1 Like

Great job!!! Backed.

1 Like

Wow… You guys bake new stuff faster than my brains can handle…

1 Like

Great, nothing like a really busy day with “We are family” in the background! :smiley:

Looking forward to see what you guys have up your sleeve next - because these are pretty awesome!

And backed.

Well, I backed it at the “family” level, so it seemed apropos. :slight_smile:

@ devhammer - I was viewing it from the aspect of “we”, meaning GHI and everyone who knows us, as being family but I will accept your reasoning as well. :slight_smile:

Both seem quite applicable. Win-win.

Very Cool! I will be backing at least at some level. The $400 level is tempting just to get all those modules for my existing Gadgeteer boards. :wink:

@ skeller - its a great deal, saving around $250 retail.

I wonder what Gus threatened to do to his five employees in order to get them to agree to be captured wearing a fez. not a single smile can be seen. :slight_smile:

I am a supporter.

@ Gus - What kind of response time can we expect on questions asked on KS?

@ Gregg - I just looked and not seeing any questions. Did you post under comments? Please do not send private messages so other can benefit from the questions.

what is this benefit for NETMF user?
This product is only for arduino?

That’s the purpose of this product and post. We want to bring plug-n-play electronics to a broader audience and we are able to do so with products like FEZ Medusa and FEZ Lynx.

The benefit is that the modules you already own will work on a different platform, one that doesn’t have a GC or a TinyCLR. It’s 100% real time, full RLP if you will.

So it can be used as a co-processor and communicated with via Serial, I2C, SPI, etc.

@ mhectorgato - well said

My biggest complaint with the Arduino platform is lack of in circuit debugging. There doesn’t appear to be any direct support for JTAG or 1-WIRE debugging.

I like the platform a lot and I use the ATMEGA328 based UNO for a number of projects but I use this with AVR Studio and a JTAG ICE3 for debugging. AVR Dragon is a cheaper option.

The likes of the MEGA2560 based boards needs a breakout to get to the JTAG port. I have also used this board and put the JTAG connection on a custom board.

If you do a search on Google this is a common question.

Your new boards look good so I am hoping there is easy access to the debugging connections?