Connecting WIZ810MJ starter kit to FEZ

I thought i saw somewhere how to connect this module to a FEZ but i just can’t find it. The documentation with pinout is available here:

[url]http://www.wiznet.co.kr/UpLoad_Files/ReferenceFiles/WIZ810MJ_Datasheet_V_1.2.pdf[/url]

I’m not yet aware how SPI works. I think 5 wires are needed to connect e.g. Domino to this module ? Question is where to plug them :wink:

Is this the module used on FEZ Rhino?

I wanted to use this module with Domino

Yes, look at FEZ Rhino schematics I mean. Will this help?

This is a normal W5100 chip based starter kit so i assume this is the exact same thing as arduino ethernet shield, just different board. Will look at the scheatics when i get home.

Oh, i didn’t see it before - Rhino ethernet is optional and achieved by pluging in the same module I’m asking about, jus different pinout version! GHI web site is missing FEZ Rhino schematics pdf link though…

Check your email

Thanks Gus for the schematics. Can you give me any advice how to read the pin numbers ? For me every pin has at least 3 different numbers and i don’t know exactly which one should i be looking at.

I have read the documentation of W5100 chip and for SPI communication 4 pins need to be connected:

[ulist]
[li] SCS (Chip Select)[/li]
[li] SCLK (Clock)[/li]
[li] MOSI (Master Out Slave In)[/li]
[li] MISO (Master In Slave Out)[/li]
[/ulist]
I can see in Rhino schematics however that additional 2 pins are used:

[ulist]
[li] INT (Interrupt)[/li]
[li] RESET[/li]
[/ulist]
If we add 1 pin for VCC and 1 pin for GND, we end up with 8 wires… Can someone confirm this? Also W5100 datasheet says that SPI_EN should be connected to VCC in order to use SPI (I think this didn’t apply to WIZ811MJ used with Rhino board).

The image you have is good. You now need too connect the spi pins. The schematics also give you hints of what you need

Grrr… I hate this 2,00 mm pitch. Everything we use at work has 2,54 mm pitch. I’ll have to make some adapter board in order to plug it into a prototype board… I had the same problem with XBee module. Is this some standard in US ?

I managed to make so-called “spider” out of wires and connect this module to Domino. The only wire that is left unconnected is the Interrupt pin. In Rhino schematics this pin is connected to SDA2 (USBizi pin 69). I don’t see however this pin extracted on domino board. Any suggestions ?

I do not think we use this pin. Take a look at the initialization functions for W5100 to see what pins you need.

Initialization requires specifying RESET and CS pins. If Interrupt is not used than i have everything connected. When i run sample code from beginners guide i get this exception after calling Accept() on socket.

Fail[invalid ip,port]

My “spider”

Before you jump into code, only run the initialize routine and then try to ping your board from a PC

ping 192.168.1…you know!

Yep, that was the first thing i tested. No response to ping using this:

const Int32 cPort = 80;
            byte[] ip = {10, 0, 10, 10};
            byte[] subnet = {255, 255, 0, 0};
            byte[] gateway = {10, 0, 0, 249};
            byte[] mac = {43, 185, 44, 2, 206, 127};
            WIZnet_W5100.Enable(SPI.SPI_module.SPI1,
                                (Cpu.Pin) FEZ_Pin.Digital.Di10,
                                (Cpu.Pin) FEZ_Pin.Digital.Di9, true);
            NetworkInterface.EnableStaticIP(ip, subnet, gateway, mac);
            NetworkInterface.EnableStaticDns(new byte[] {8, 8, 8, 8});
            Thread.Sleep(Timeout.Infinite);

OK on error found. Look at the module in my picture. SPI_ENABLE is not pulled up -> its connected to wrong pin.

Yes that was it! At I know i can ping the module so far so good :slight_smile: Goto go home for the weekend. It’s always nice to end your work knowing something finally started working. Have a nice weekend guys!

Erased

Wiz811 and Wiz812 are both 2.54mm pitch connectors, so if you ever have to buy a new module, don’t buy the 810 get one of the others :slight_smile: Sorry, it doesn’t help your current spider get unravelled :frowning:

I use my 812’s on some stripboard/veroboard and have female headers soldered in, ready to go - very simple to prototype (or more permanently) an ethernet connection