Cobra Enclosure

Hi All

I have been working hard to complete another project before commencing on some quality work with the FEZ Cobra. After I got the board,I did some quick checks to ensure power up and enjoyed the demo application, then repacked the board and put it away till now.

I am contemplating getting the enclosure but once the lid is shut, suspect that I will loose access to the breakout pins.

I have read other posts and Foekie (Robert) has suggested a L shaped plexi base. It may help to see some photographs for this.

This said I am sure that the enclosure would twist the flexi connector between the Cobra and the TFT board hope this would not strain the connectors in the long run.

I am open to ideas.

Thanks

-Rajesh

The flex cables are made to flex. We have enough clearance so it is not too strained.

And yes, closing the enclosure means hiding ll the pins but is this a problem? You would normally add your circuitry (top the pins) and mount your circuit inside the box then close it after you are done with hardware.

The enclosure will also protect the LCD and the FEZ Cobra board even if the enclosure is not closed. The cable can go straight while keeping the everything in place and you will end up with the top with LCD on one side and the cobra siting on the bottom on the other side.

Hi Gus

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

For a fixed function application the breakout pins can be hidden once the hardware part is complete, but in development or hobby mode I will want to use jumper wires to a breadboard or GP PCB for rapid development and testing.

May be the EMX Development System would suit me better.

Thanks

-Rajesh

It depends on what you are doing. This is why we have the development system (on GHI main website) and the FEZ Cobra (on this website)

It’s just a L-shape plexi, not an enclosure. Just wanted to make sure the flex cable did not break and the display was mounted somewhere. Not much though…

Here are some pictures:

Mounted:

Unmounted

Rajesh, you can see in the images Robert posted on how it can be mounted on something to make it one unit. Now, you can lave it open like that even if the boards are mounted on the enclosure top and bottom.

It really depends on how you want to use it.

Indeed. This is best for prototyping. You can add screws on the backside for mounting on a wall for example. It’s a simple, but safe solution for your “child” cobra and it’s awesome touch screen :smiley:

Indeed, this is, as said before, ideal for prototyping.

Robert, do you have any CAD drawings of your mounting plate?

Haha sorry, no I do not. I’m not a CAD guy (if you can teach me, please! I have only done electrical-wiring in autocad)

If you can give me tips, I can create one for you :wink:

Robert, your idea seems interesting. I am going to go around and look for some plexi. I am also going to look out for alternates.

Will post on any finding.

-Rajesh

I also use for prototyping a normal plastic plate.

But added a small breadboard for fast adding some components

Here’s a picture

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8228/p1020024z.jpg

A bread board is a good addition. Is yours fixed on the plate ?

-Rajesh

Yes it is fixed with 2 small screews , so you can change it to a biggrer board if necessary

But you can glue it with double-sided adhesive tape.

And for a finel design I will use the enclosure from GHI :smiley:

[quote]Haha sorry, no I do not. I’m not a CAD guy (if you can teach me, please! I have only done electrical-wiring in autocad)

If you can give me tips, I can create one for you [/quote]
Naw, I have no experience. I’m only asking because I might a have access to a CNC if I have a CAD drawing.

Here is my 3d model:

If you do it with Google Sketchup then you can export it to .dxf or so.

Edit: sorry, such export is only available in the “pro” version, which is not free :frowning:

I can buy it :wink:

What do you think, is it ok?

I’m currently using Google Sketchup to draw the machines and their location in our new factory.
I’ve also used it to draw some astronomic hardware that was machined afterwards

So yes, it’s a very nice tool, indeed. I don’t know how much time you spent on your 3D model but I can say for sure that it can be done with Sketchup in less than 10min !

I have done in in sketchup :wink:
“is it OK” was meant for the drawing, does it look OK?

I have spent a little more time, since I had to measure precisely. But sketchup is a nice program indeed.

Finally I just used some material I had around and made a home for my FEZ. I am not saying that this is the best, but I like it, all I need to do is get a small breadboard to add.

**SIDE NOTE: Please buy a FEZ enclosure from this site : trust me :slight_smile: