August 24th, RC2 for NETMF 4.2 QFE2

We are happy to bring you a complete package that covers NETMF 4.2 QFE2. This release needs Microsoft’s new NETMF 4.2 QFE2. We have also added SQLite to EMX in this release. Any EMX based system (Spider/Cobra) can now create and use databases in RAM, on SD cards or on USB storage devices.

Why should I use this release?
[ol]Faster boot up.
This release has gone through a lot of testing so it should be very close to final.
SQLite database is added to Premium offers.
Switched the networking stacks from using the old closed TCP/IP stack to new open LwIP stack.
This SDK package and Microsoft’s NETMF 4.2 SDK still supports 4.1 devices and even has some updates for 4.1 Gadgeteer modules.[/ol]

Why shouldn’t I use this release? (remember 4.1 is still included in the package)
[ol]Do not ship products with this release.
Premium Library is still missing In-Field Update, SSL and WiFi.
Touch is not supported natively, being planned still.
Please read individual release notes inside the SDK package.[/ol]

The order of steps is very important:
[ol]Uninstall all GHI SDKs
Uninstall Gadgeteer Core (very important)
Uninstall Microsoft NETMF 4.1 and/or 4.2 SDK
Install Microsoft’s NETMF 4.2 QFE2 SDK
Install GHI NETMF v4.2 and .NET Gadgeteer Package (RC2 8-24-2012).zip
Cerberus firmware included in GHI OSHW SDK had some issues. Use the following firmware instead: http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Beta/Cerb-4_2_3_1.zip
Start new project and do not use old projects.[/ol]

WinUSB drivers: QFE2 improved the BSoD problem some have experienced but to get rid of BSoD completely we have to switch the USB driver (not the device, the windows drivers) to use the new WinUSB drivers. This is top priority and will be a made available ASAP.

[title]After-release Known Issues[/title]
(this list will be regularly updated so check back)
A new firmware for cerb-family was released 8/28 that must be used, see above please.

9 Likes

WAaaaaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

did i just read SQLite for any EMX including the spider…

Awwwssssssommmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thank you guys.

Allright :slight_smile: Thank you!

Some notes (for EMX)

1. When running the EMX updater, you need to manually select TinyBooter and CLR’s for GHI Premium NETMF 4.2 instead of NETMF 4.1.
  2. When creating a new project, you need to open Project properties and manually change the Target Framework to 4.2 under Application tab
  3. You need to remove the reference “GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware.EMX” and add “GHI.Premium.Hardware.EMX”

installation error :
Windows XP 64bit…
see the attached image please…
It is the Seed .NET Gandgeteer v4.1 and 4.2 SDK
It is the GHI NETMF USB Drivers…
PS: i did receive this same exact error with the older installations and reported it… but i guess you may have missed it…
also notice the file path : could it be related to being very long… since i’m running the installer from my Desktop…

I’m gonna install it manually…

@ Jay Jay - Did you extract the ZIP first? Or did you just enter it with Windows great look-in-zip way :slight_smile: You should drag the content to an other place on your desktop.

extracted all using winzip and then clicked on Setup…

Strange, it worked fine here on Win7 64bit.

Hey, where is RLP.Unlock() ? Now that is a great improvement, no longer fiddling with that key :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Too bad that SD read speed still is limited to 310kB/sec :frowning: I would have hoped that you guys fixed that…

@ WouterH - What class speed is the SD Card you are referring to? If you look at the attached picture of the Micro SD card, you will see a number 2 surrounded by the letter C . If it is not labeled, then it is a Class 1 device. Theoretical speed limitations are the Class Number in megabits/second (Class 2 devices can write at up to 2 megabits/second).

@ James - WouterH is actually the master of these things.

@ WouterH - we are more concerned about completeness and robustness at this stage. Optimization comes later.

@ Gus && @ WouterH my apologies :slight_smile:

@ James - it’s a Sandisk 2GB but doesn’t mention a class. I can read it at 4MB/second using RLP and on Windows.

@ Gus - That I understand, just don’t forget it :wink:

Getting “invalid zip” error in Windows 8 RTM. Any suggestions? If needed, I can always copy over to another machine to unzip.

Moments ago, I was able to unzip successfully with Windows 8. Can you try from a different machine and/or re-download as troubleshooting steps?

Must’ve had a bad download, as the file size was way off (just over 1MB). I re-downloaded and it seems to be fine now.

@ Josh - Got everything installed (fresh install on Windows 8 RTM), and seems to work fine. Tested with Cerberus, updated the firmware with no problems and was able to blink the onboard LED on the mainboard.

Smooth install, apart from the brief issue with a corrupt download of the GHI SDK, which was corrected by re-downloading the package.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Question, with this version its possible use sqlite with hydra?

lerg98