Argon R1 - A New Gadgeteer Mainboard

Must be a 16bit device and Borland is most likely the only free 16 bit compiler available.

[quote]I was like awesome! but after i singed the NDA and received the information i have to use Borland C v5.2. I was like NO FREAKING WAY! who the heck would even dare use that old DOS app anymore.
I just dont know if i can deal with that crap anymore, now that i am so pampered with VS and modern style GUI compilers and editors. [/quote]

Turbo C?

I had Turbo C and Turbo Pascal until I upgraded to Borland C++. I had the GIANT Borland C++ 3 box way back. It weighed about 30 pounds with all those printed manuals Loved that product, even if they went a bit overboard in Windows with the giant buttons and textured backgrounds :slight_smile:

I’d be surprised if there isn’t a 16 bit target for GNU C/C++. They tend to have just about everything else covered, including 8 bit AVR and 32/64 bit computers…

Pete

I doubt it. There are lots of 16-bit microcontrollers (devices) out there. The MSP430 is a very famous one, but PIC also makes them. Renesas has a big line of them as well. The list is large. None of them require Borland C.

There’s actually a pretty large list of 16-bit architectures supported by GCC. Most of them I’ve never heard of.

Less common are the 4-bit microcontrollers. Atmel has some, as does Renesas.

That is what I have started with, during my early Windows programming. OWL was good. Visual Studio was not as impressive at that time. :wink:

@ Architect

I have a Visual Basic 3 box, sealed, around here somewhere. :slight_smile:

Pete

Turbo Pascal was king during the DOS days, and Borland C and Delphi were killer tools, to bad Borland insisted on not only shooting themselves in the foot but in the head multiple times as well. I’m almost tempted however to get a copy of Delphi XE2 just to see how Delphi is doing now. Del Yocam is second top idiot on the planet in my books (whoever hired him is the number one idiot in my books), as they had a whole fleet of guys who would have been great CEOs and earned the right to lead Borland like Paul Gross or Brad Silverberg for example. Sometimes you just can’t stop stupid.