April 25th SDK package

Sorry if this is out of place. Please delete this if so…

I am a bit confused on what will work with what OS in the near future. It looks to me that you will no longer be supporting VS2010.

No right or wrong - I just do not want to change my ‘day to day’ PC to Windows 8. Frankly, I have one PC with Windows 8 Pro and I do NOT like using Windows 8.

NO… I have nothing against change, I just don’t like using it.

Will I remain compatible with your future software releases if I install VS2012 Express on my Windows 7 64 bit?

@ willgeorge - aren’t you able to install the desktop (non windows store, ie RT) express version of VS2012 on Win7?

We’re using professional 2012 on our Win7 at the office.

@ willgeorge - please see http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/compatibility

win7 is officially supported by Microsoft on VS2012.

Hi,
thank you for the great job. I waited VS 2012 compatibility for a while. I’m testing the SDK and I encounter a strange behavior.

I open Visual Studio, create a new Cerberus Gadgeteer VB Project and run the debugger. Since then, everything work ok.

But, If I add a property to my program class, the debugger fail with that message :

[b][em]Resolve: unknown type: System.Diagnostics.DebuggerBrowsableAttribute

Error: ff000000[/em][/b]

**** EDIT
If I write this

Public Property test() As String
            Get
                Return m_test
            End Get
            Set(value As String)
                m_test = Value
            End Set
        End Property
        Private m_test As String

instead of

Property test As String

it works.

I removed everything before setting up a test machine and installed as suggested.
But now I don’t have any references to 4.2 anymore and my GHI devices have 4.2.10 after updating:

Error 1 Cannot deploy the base assembly ‘mscorlib’, or any of his satellite assemblies, to device - USB:EMX twice. Assembly ‘mscorlib’ on the device has version 4.2.0.0, while the program is trying to deploy version 4.3.0.0

What would be the correct procedure?

@ David@ Emrol - In your project properties, try switching it from 4.3 to 4.2 and see if that helps. It looks like it might be trying to deploy a 4.3 project instead of 4.2.

100% correct, thanks ! :slight_smile:

Great job! Thank you.

I’m still confused about what I need to download and install to do the following:

EMX - Cobra1

• on Windows 8
  • using VS 2010 or VS 2012, either one would be fine

USBizi - Panda II

• on Windows 8
  • using VS 2010 or VS 2012, either one would be fine

My understanding that you will not support EMX on NETMF 4.3, and you will not support USBizi on NETMF 4.2 or 4.3.
Is this correct?

In the future you won’t support VS 2010.
Is this correct?

Thanks.

New SDK adds project templates for VS2012 only so you will not see NETMF related projects in VS2010. You can still build apps for 4.1, 4.2 and soon 4.3 using VS2012.

@ architect - Thanks, I would like to develop using the latest SDK and VS 2012, but I’m still confused about what I need to install and un-install if I want to continue developing for Cobra 1 and Panda II?

Uninstall everything 4.2 and earlier - NETMF, GHI, Seed. Then install NETMF 4.3 and then SDK from GHI.

@ architect - Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Hi,
On Cerberus with VB.net I get strange characters with the PrintString(“Adresse”) function.
I’m using VS 2012, last SDK and my board is flashed with firmware 4.2.5.0

I get what I want only with the following code :

MyChar_Display.CursorHome()
MyChar_Display.Putc(Strings.AscW("A"))
MyChar_Display.Putc(Strings.AscW("d"))
MyChar_Display.Putc(Strings.AscW("r"))
MyChar_Display.Putc(Strings.AscW("e"))
MyChar_Display.Putc(Strings.AscW("s"))
MyChar_Display.Putc(Strings.AscW("e"))

Just to be sure, is VB.net still supported?

Property test as string

throws exception (it was working on VS 2010) and the printstring() doesn’t work anymore.

Add a delay after cursor home or display initialize. This should fix it.

I do not know what you mean in the second question.

Thank you for the trick, the delay does the job.

My other question is about something specific to VB. With that language, you can declare a property in a class simply by coding something like :

Property MyProperty as string

The debugger in Visual Studio 2012 does not work properly with this kind of declaration. The following message appear in ouput Window and the debugger stops :

Resolve: unknown type: System.Diagnostics.DebuggerBrowsableAttribute

Error: ff000000

Instead, if I declare my property like the following code it works :

Public Property MyProperty As String
            Get
                Return m_MyProperty 
            End Get
            Set(value As String)
                m_MyProperty  = value
            End Set
        End Property
        Private m_MyProperty  As String

I don’t know why and I don’t know if I’m alone. What I’m sure is that it worked well with VS 2010. Could you do a quick test?

@ jango_jas - please post a bug report on netmf codeplex. This error is on Microsofts end.

@ Gus - I have created Issues ID 1999 and 2000. Thank you for your time. Always appreciated.

Updating Hydra firmware was not successful on Win 8. I had to go on a Win 7 pc and I got it right.
I’ve tried both options, boot.ini, pin8-10 short, but no go. This had happened on 3 Hydra boards and 2 different win8 pc. On the Win 7 all Hydra updated correctly.
May be a problem on my PC but I never had problem before.

PS: Fez Spider, Fez Cobra II, G120HDR2, Fez Cerberus updated correctly on Win 8 without any issue.

Can you please tell me what i should use now? Maybe i see the light again.

@ NielsNL2 - same as before. Not sure what you mean.