April 25th SDK package

Edit: this is not longer available, use this official release instead http://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=11849

[line]

Please do not twitter, blog or link to this SDK yet. We will have an official announcement on Monday once the community approve it.

IMPORTANT: This SDK includes the latest gadgeteer SDK that supports VS2012 desktop. In order for you to use it, you need NETMF 4.3 SDK (but the firmware is still 4.2). You must uninstall everything NETMF and GHI related and then start with installing NETMF 4.3 found at http://netmf.codeplex.com/downloads/get/500745 then install the GHI package below.

IMPORTANT: Windows8 will not let you install till you click “more info” and then click “Run Anyway” button. See attached images please.

Tip: If you want to continue to use VS2010, keep using NETMF 4.2 QFE2 like before. This will not work in future once we switch to NETMF 4.3 and we no longer support VS2010 but it is up to you what to use. You can ignore the notes about needing Microsoft’s 4.3 SDK, but you are on your own. GHI only supports VS2012 to keep things simple and uniform and this is required in coming releases anyways…

http://www.ghielectronics.com/download/ghi-software-package-v4.2-04252013 (must be logged in to download)

Fixes/Additions and known issues: Please see release notes. We will summary in official announcement.

If you have issues with this package, reply to this post please to keep things contained to this particular release.

Edit: As suggested by many users, VS2012 will only work on Win7 and Win8 so we will continue supporting VS2010 for some time.

7 Likes

wha hoo

@ Gus -
Just to be sure ! Thank you for the news!!
This is a 4.2 that can work upon 4.3 mfsdk enabling VS2012 development for 4.2 and 4.3 netmf, but no 4.3 Gadgeteer.

Is that correct ?

@ dobova - Yes absolutely! Let us know what you think about it.

Yes it is 4.2 SDK. You see that in the package name.

@ Gus and @ steven

I will check it for sure ! Thanks.

THANKS!!!

Do we make potential bug reports on this thread?

@ NXTwoThou - Yeah of course. What did you find? Is it related to the post you made here? http://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=11594&page=5

Yuppers. Very specificly TE35 and Hydra while debugging.

Congratulations with the new SDK!

its a bit confusing to me… all files have v4.2 in their names, the premium release notes states:

GHI Electronics, LLC
Premium SDK for NETMF v4.2
’Important Note: Requires .NET Micro Framework 4.3 RTM and Visual Studio 2012’

In the intro of this topic is written: Tip: If you want to continue to use VS2010, keep using NETMF 4.2 QFE2 like before. This will not work in future once we switch to NETMF 4.3 and we no longer support VS2010 but it is up to you what to use.

Release Notes for the Microsoft .NET Micro Framework SDK Version 4.3
NOTE: The .NET Micro Framework SDK Version 4.3 does not support
side-by-side installation with any other previous version of the same product

Questions:
First i like to upgrade my G120 project from 4.2.9 to 4.2.10 and keep using MF 4.2/VS2010. Is that possible?
As a 2nd step i move to MF 4.3 and moving to VS2012. Can i use this sdk 4.2.10 in this case?

Both questions are answered in previous page.

You can use 2010 for now by using netmf 4.2
And this sdk is 4.2 firmware but requires Microsoft netmf 4.3 to support 2012
If you use 2010 you are on your own.

This info must be clear:

1. Disinstalling NetMF 4.2QFE2 it does mean no more VS2010 ! So if you need it do not uninstall 4.2QFE2.
  2. It seems that eventually 4.2QFE2 and 4.3 can live togheter permitting use of both VS2010 and VS2012.

I’ve tested Cerberus, Hydra and G120HDR2 with no problem to deploy and create a project.
I’ve problem to load some 4.2 projects in VS2010 after installing new SDK, I will check better later.

I have installed the sdk on a new Windows 8 machine, and windows smart… what ever … complaint that this isn’t a safe software. The puplisher is missing and so on. Would be nice if you can change this till you release it.

Hmmm, i just installed and tried the new SDK.
All started well no big issues. first test project started and after inserting the GHI libs all did work well.

Now i wanted to start work on my main project and see how that go’s… and then a big list of errors FEZCerbuino.Pin.Digital.D8 was not found in the libs. :frowning:

Please ADD them back.

Woo hoo!

Hi, in release notes:

[quote]Removed hardware pin enumerations from GHI.Premium.Hardware.BoardName assemblies, and placed them in GHI.Hardware.BoardName for uniformity across all products.
[/quote]

@ Patrick, yes i saw that, but it did not say that they just removed the old structure(s) as well.

They also should have told in the changelog what impact the changes should have and given an alternative for the parts that where removed.

Sorry to say i’m a bit frustrated.

This will be fixed in future releases. For now, click “more info” and then “run anyway”. I updated the original post with images.

I agree breaking changes are not welcome but we had to make this little change. Pin enums were hidden before so we needed to pull them out in separate assemblies so they are easier to browse. Hopefully you and others will find the pins easier from now on.