APOC: Mini Radiation Detector

@ Architect, like lightning perhaps? :wink:

yeah, that is the one too :frowning:

Got any iodine-131, cesium-137, cobalt-60, radium-226, or technetium-99m kicking around? Got any old glow in the dark watch faces around as those contained radium and your Americium smoke detector is a low source of gamma so if your able to pickup some gamma off of that then really that is a positive indicator.

Iā€™d send you some samples from the reactor we have in the lab, but apparently DHS type people tend to get excited about that.

Iā€™ve often wondered about these:

Simple hire Lee Trevino send him out to the tee box with a 1-iron and stand back.

Even this:

But somehow I assume that they donā€™t ship outside the USAā€¦

I must still order some vaseline glass from ebay, for my testing, but I would also like to include a piece with every order for the user to play with.

I will order one, please count me. Thanks.

Iā€™ll be building 9 so I think there will be enough thus farā€¦

Ok, now I need a piezo module. :slight_smile:

How can there still be no piezo module?

What is a geiger counter that doesnā€™t tick?

Using an e-block piezo with the eblock expantion module is very bulkyā€¦

BTW, this counter will probably only count upto 1000 counts per second, or 60000 counts per minute, as I feed the pulse directly to the interrupt pin. Does anybody think that this will be a problem?

I must also still measure the current, for which I must assemble my module current measurement module.

I guess there are many people hoping the answer to this is NO otherwise thereā€™s a lot of radiation where we wouldnā€™t expect !! (actually I have no idea if 1000/sec is excessive, it sounds it though :stuck_out_tongue: )

Whereā€™s our custom DL firmware guy. Might be a good use of a DL40 hardware counter?

ā€œHow can there still be no piezo module?ā€

I donā€™t like piezo, if you test it at office or home , the sound of piezo may make someone craze.

So your thinking of including a piece of this with every module or something like it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-YELLOW-VASELINE-URANIUM-GLASS-LUCKY-ROCK-GEMS-GLOWS-id123331-/380589092001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589ce0aca1

Certainly put me down for a module when they are ready.

I would agree that you should be able to shut off the sound. How I hope to be able to use this is to have the reading digitally so I can upload it to COSM, ThingSpeak or some other site (perhaps even http://radiationnetwork.com/ ) in real time.

Click rates and their meaning vary per device, for example as mentioned at radiationnetwork.com

so a 1000 CPM on a Mueller tube could very well indicate that perhaps its a good time to see what the heck is going on.

Yeah, I asked that seller earlier this morning if it is actually radioactive. You never know with these ā€œcreativeā€ ebay sellers.

My unit should be good up to 1000cps, in other words 60000cpm.

Iā€™m not including a speaker of any kind. My current setup has the NETMF board produce a ā€œtickā€ everytime is gets a signal from the module. But it would be nice to have a piezo module to connect to the NETMF board so it can make a soundā€¦ :slight_smile:

@ GMod(Errol) - Iā€™ll send @ Duke a buzzer incase he picks up one of your modules to play with :slight_smile:

@ GMod(Errol) - GHI now has PWM buzzer module.

@ Architect - And itā€™s a funky looking thing too :slight_smile:

Yeah SMT buzzer is unusual.

Ahh, preview, that is why I didnā€™t see itā€¦ :slight_smile:

It will improve the layout of my project thoughā€¦

Nice to see it in comparison with the Cerberus.

That is an awesomely good looking module.

I checked our Depression Glass and heck ya its authentic Depression Glass, complete with that nice Green Fluorescence under UV light, so apparently I have samples ready to test here.

If you have any Bananas, you might want to test them.

Thats a nice looking module. I had thought about making one but 500v scared me off. I just know i would slip and loose a finger tip.