1Ghz Beagle for $45

That looks like a really nice little board. Thanks for sharing that.

love it

Wow! Too bad it’s Linux and not NETMF.

wasn’t somebody working on a port? maybe Architect? :slight_smile:

Why? What would you gain from NETMF that you can’t get from Linux?

Not having Linux. :wink:

1 Like

@ mhectorgato - lol

Fanboy points

1 Like

With NETMF, I can build something simple tonight

With Linux, I can build the same simple thing but it will not be tonight, not even for a week maybe.

Sounds like a lack of education. Someone who’s an expert in Linux can build the same simple thing that you can in NETMF, being a NETMF expert yourself, in the same amount of time.

The difference is, they also have a complete operating system at their disposal, and their performance will run circles around yours, because it’s native.

Tiz an argument that no one will win.
So stop slapping each other with handbags and just get on with it.

5 Likes

Yes education, much simpler

I saw this when it came out. Lately I have been wondering if Mono on Linux would be a better direction to go. Think of all the hardware, like the <$10 USB wifi, robust networking stack, apache web server, etc. You could migrate/port the gadgeteer DLL to Mono and create a similar board to the Beagle but with Gadgeteer sockets.

It would all be possible.

Alternatively, my understanding is that the Core version of Windows Server is very efficient. I’d like to see Microsoft come out with a full blown version of embedded Windows for ARM devices. Just like they did with Windows on Windows Phone 8.

What I am seeing is that powerful CPUs are coming out now that are almost the same price and form factor as the ones in “embedded” devices, but they can run full Operating Systems. I think it’s only a matter of time before full blown Operating Systems become the norm for embedded. We all need to consider that.

@ Valkyrie-MT - I agree, the only reason I am not 100% sure that the embedded devices will be running fulblown OS for a while is the power aspect. I am no expert, but it seems that for really small scale embedded systems power consumption is a major driving factor.

And… You know Microsoft has already developed a .NET Framework to run on the ARM CPU for the phone. We just need a stripped down version of this. Maybe it even runs .xap files, just like the phone! Think of all the drivers Microsoft must have developed to get the phone off the ground… cameras, accelerometers, compass, dislpays, touch digitizers, MicroSD, etc. Remember, Microsoft has already worked out General Purpose I/O, I2C, CAN, UART, SD I/O, etc. You can read about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/09/building-windows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

Maybe it’s time for a completely new Microsoft Embedded platform… Just thinking out loud…

1 Like

This is the single most attractive thing about these Beagle type setups for me. Right now the $35 WiFly is serving my needs, but I hope to see cheaper options soon…

That’s a bit harsh :slight_smile:

Actually, I would change the wording to lack of knowledge in that particular field.

As you said, someone with a depth of knowledge of Linux to the same level as Gus with NETMF would be able to run rings around him.

Lack of education is also no way to judge anyones ability. I myself have no college or university education in the field of electronics or software. I am all self taught with a very keen interest in the subjects. I have many projects out there both hobby and commercial that I have designed and programmed from the ground up.

It’s all about your willingness to learn the subject. Just like school at the time, I wasn’t interested in the subjects so I either got low marks or failed. If only computers and electronics was around when I was a kid, I would have realised what I was trying to learn for. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote]Lack of education is also no way to judge anyones ability. I myself have no college or university education in the field of electronics or software. I am all self taught with a very keen interest in the subjects. I have many projects out there both hobby and commercial that I have designed and programmed from the ground up.

It’s all about your willingness to learn the subject. Just like school at the time, I wasn’t interested in the subjects so I either got low marks or failed. If only computers and electronics was around when I was a kid, I would have realised what I was trying to learn for. [/quote]

This is exactly the same with me. The only class i got an A in was electronics. The rest i flunked out of due to total boredom and no interest. It was simply my deep passion for electronics and to make leds blink that allowed me to learn all that i know now.

I am embarrassed when family and friends say i am smart. I tell them its not that i am smart which makes me able to do all this. Its my passion for not giving up that allows me to do it. I believe with all my heart that anyone with a strong enough passion to do some thing can accomplish anything regardless of their “smarts”

2 Likes

Education imparts knowledge (ideally…), which (to me) means they’re equivalent. Self-taught or formally educated, if one lacks knowledge, education is the solution.

I get that GHI,who sponsors this community, doesn’t sell Beagle boards, but the lack of open-mindedness around here gets on my nerves sometimes. For example, recently, Gus himself posted about a $12 phone and noted that it makes the Arduino, by comparison, ridiculously overpriced. No mention, however, of the fact that it also makes all of GHI’s products equally ridiculously overpriced.

Just mention the RPi (or now, I’m sure, the Beagle Black), and forum members will come out of the woodwork to declare that it’s crap compared to GHI’s NETMF products (but probably better than all the other NETMF products out there, which are all even worse crap, except the Argon R1, which for some strange reason gets a pass). It’s fanboyism at its worst, and it reflects poorly on the community, in my opinion.

My intention was not to start a flame war. One wonders why the original poster made the original post.