Would like some 3D printer feedback

So I think it’s time I jumped into the 3D printer arena.
With so many out nowadays, and the cost of them its not something that I can buy 1 or 2 to figure out whats best for money spend. I would like to stay under $1500.
Who of you have one of these and what do you think of yours.

This is the best online review I’ve seen. In that it’s based on people actually using them.

1 Like

Are you interested in building one or are you sticking with commercial models?

1 Like

Thanks!

It all depends on the quality of the end product. I would prefer it not to look like something I made in my garage.

Beauty’s in the eye of the beholder… :wink: I spent most of last year building and modifying my 3D printers. If you want to spend a few weekends building your own, I would suggest this kit. It’s got every bell & whistle you could want and Brad is a great guy who provides great support.

http://www.ultibots.com/kossel-250-v-slot-3d-printer-diy-kit-beta/

I don’t really have much experience with any of the commercial models other than teaching the local librarians how to use their MakerBot Replicator 2. Based on reviews I’ve seen, if I were going to buy a commercial one I’d go with an Ultimaker. They’re printers consistently get good reviews in every category and their (open source) software is the standard and what I use with my printers.

Your first thought should be what are you planning to do with the machine? This will determine what materials you will need and the build volume. Any machine without either a heated build chamber or heated platform, typically doesn’t produce good ABS parts. However those machines also overheat the ABS causing it out-gas Acrylonitrile. So first decide, do you want PLA or ABS :slight_smile:

The quality you get from the expensive commercial machines is far far better than you can get from a cheap home printer. I’ve had some nylon sls parts made and there is no comparison. So don’t rule out just paying a company to make your parts for you.

2 Likes

@ hagster - Very true. Stratasys uses a heated build chamber to produce parts that have a matte finish, and is really well done. Practically all power fusing machines produce matte finishes which can be easily glossed afterwards. In the short term its cheaper than buying any 3d printer at all; but if you’re doing alot of prototyping, then making bad quality prototypes with your home machine then sending out for the final thing is the best mix of cost and quality.

I have a Flash Forge Creator Pro and i absolutely love it.
Sturdy metal frame, dual extruder, aluminium heated bed, ABS and PLA print capability.