Windows 10: Briefing HoloLens

@ ianlee74 - My favorite thing about WHS was the ability to easily restore a machine from a backup image. With the automated full-machine backups happening daily, it made it pretty easy to rescue a PC that had become unusable. Used the restore functionality to fix my HTPC after an upgrade completely screwed up the ability to record, which put me in the doghouse with the family. WHS made it easy to go back to the previous day’s image, which made it all better.

You can kind of do the same thing with System Image Backup (which is hidden in the Fle History applet in Control Panel), but it’s not automated, and not centralized, which is a shame.

1 Like

@ iamin - Free upgrade is great. But here in the U.S., until something changes with the carriers, it’s somewhat less meaningful, unless you’re willing to participate in the Preview for Developers program. Sadly, that program doesn’t include firmware updates, just the OS. Not sure whether that’ll change with the new program for Windows 10. Guess maybe I’ll find out next month. :wink:

but the good news for @ Reinhard is that buying a new Lumia 830/930 now will not exclude the update later (which was why the concern). Go buy what suits you best !

1 Like

Exactly. I used this several times. A few of those were just to upgrade my hard drive. I could pull out the hard drive, pop a new one in, insert the bootable CD and it would just go find the Home Server, download the image and restore the machine. Magic!

Yea, there’s definitely a way to do everything that WHS did with the modern Windows Server. The problem is you need to be a sys admin to know how. With WHS, you just installed the client and sat back and relaxed.

And we haven’t even mentioned the other really cool part about being able to create arrays of disks of varying sizes! That’s built into Windows now but at the time WHS was the only OS that did it.

[quote=“ianlee74”]
Yea, there’s definitely a way to do everything that WHS did with the modern Windows Server. The problem is you need to be a sys admin to know how. With WHS, you just installed the client and sat back and relaxed.[/quote]

There was an nice article about in German c’t using Win 8.1 tools to generate System disk backups from command line, and create an install medium that will restore any of the backups on any machine.
There were also the needed batch scripts, … available.

Not as easy as the WHS did, but still quite comfy.
Run script regular as task with NAS as target.
Prepare USB bootable stick with win installer.
On emergency copy wim file on stick, boot, install, done

If you want I can send it to you by mail (including the article, in German of course)

[quote=“Reinhard Ostermeier”]

Tell that to your grandmother :wink:

Thanks but I don’t do backups anymore. I feel comfortable that all my data is safely backed up to OneDrive & GitHub. If the system crashes I can rebuild it in a night and be back up & running the next day. Backups are no longer worth the effort to me.

Do you encrypt your data?

I have been eyeing the HTC One M8 myself, but have been holding out for the price to come down a little bit (Tmobile and buying would mean my bill goes up to whatI was paying on other carriers) and to see about the new windows phone os.

What about using xbox one instead of WMC pc?? to me the best news was the new windows, I think it looks sleek, and very functional on any device, and also the announcement that they will produce windows phone flagships. when they started the hololens talk, I though it was one of those 10 years in future videos that they occasionally make, until they showed it on stage, impressive stuff.

Buying an xbox just for watching TV!? What a waste of money: both, for buying it and paying for power.
I never ever would buy a game for an xbox. If you wait a couple of nano seconds you get the same (or better) game for PC half the price, and the x-mas after you get it for 5 or 10 bucks.

XBOX One has some impressive media capabilities, but it can’t (at least not in the US) act as a DVR directly. It has to use a pass-through from cable box or DVR.

My WMC PC has a dual-tuner OTA digital tuner card, and I just plug in rabbit ears, and record over-the-air broadcast stuff, which costs me $0. Add in a Netflix subscription, and Amazon Prime Video, and I get nearly anything I actually care about, and save hundreds of dollars a year.

Sadly, can’t really do that with just the XBOX One alone. So I’m still using my 360 as a Media Center Extender. Might eventually get one of the small-factor PCs and an external drive and mount those on my TV, but that’s down the road.

… try this link for a start …

… do not forget to sign up …

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

That would really be cool, like.
You enter the living room.
You see the (virtual) TV hanging on the wall, running some movie.
You jump onto the couch and nod into the direction of your TV.
Now you get sucked into the screen and it’s like you are in the movie
:dance:

1 Like

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - That what they showed in the intro movie.

The important stuff (passwords, etc.) I keep in LastPass which is highly encrypted. Other stuff, I’m honestly not that paranoid about. I believe people that want it are probably more likely to get it from other 3rd party sources or by some Trojan device on my PC than they are from OneDrive. If I were storing anything I really thought was super-sensitive, I would encrypt it PC-side, implement EFS, or just upgrade to Office365 Business.

Registration for Build2015 is open as of 30 minutes ago.

So, who is going to Build 2015 this year?

@ Architect - If the hologlass would be avail by then, I could tune in and sit besides you.

Virtually of course…

If they will give HoloLens to all attendees that would be awesome! I will definitely would like to try it in the exhibition area.

My bet is that every attendee gets a pair. Unfortunately, my company only pays 50% for conferences. So, the expensive ones become even harder to justify. :frowning: