Will NET MF work on this board?

Hi guys,
It’s hard for me to get a fez panda due to my location, but I had found a warehouse in uk from which I can get a second day delivery.

There I had found this board:

http://lv.farnell.com/nxp/om11042/kit-mbed-prototyping-board-lpc2368/dp/1761178

KIT, MBED PROTOTYPING BOARD, LPC2368

Silicon Manufacturer:NXP

Core Architecture:ARM

Core Sub-Architecture:ARM7

Silicon Core Number:LPC2368

Silicon Family Name:LPC236x

Kit Contents:Board

Features:Programmed via USB, Ethernet, USB Slave

SVHC:No SVHC (18-Jun-2010)

Development Tool Type:Prototyping Module

Kit Features:Programmed via USB, 60MHz ARM, 32KB RAM, 512KB Flash

MCU Supported Families:LPC2368

Supported Devices:LPC2368

Judging by description it looks suitable for NET MF, but just wanted to ask to be sure… so, what do you think?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

After reading your other post, I’m still not sure if you really know what you are getting into. You can’t just load .NETMF onto this, you must do a complete porting and write the physical layer as described on the wiki. Which could take weeks - or longer.
Is that what you want to do? If you can get stuff from the UK, then you could get Pandas from Poland.

Ouch… I thought porting ( converting my program and net mf clr into some sort of a native code for the given chip ) is needed only for chips that are not ARM7/ARM9/BlackFin.
while for the arm7/arm9 chips, i thought i could just bootload the net mf CLR onto a chip, just like I would bootload arduino clr onto a avr chip, no?

No, sorry. That’s not the way it works. Every chip requires it’s own HAL layer where the abstract MPU and port operations are turned into actual code for that particular processor.
Click on “Wiki” and then select the “Beginner Porting Guide”. This will give you some information on what has to be done … and I think you’ll see what you are getting into.

GHI has done this work for the LPC238x chip, adding a lot of extras which are not in the normal .NETMF distribution along the way. You can’t get the code for this - but using the guide you can “do-it-yourself”. If you’re a masochist.

Back to the drawing board …
Or, just buy a Panda. There are several distributors in Europe, so that should not be a problem.
<edit: If you already have a .NETMF program in C#, you can quickly adapt it to a Panda or other GHI board.>

Thanks again for the explanation. Ordered a Panda II of UK’s ebay. :wink:

I recommend Jan Kucera’s eStore. It’s located in Czech Republic so you won’t have problems with UK customs.

http://informatix.miloush.net/microframework/Shop2.aspx

Too late, already ordered. :slight_smile: besides, Kucera’s eStore doesn’t have any of them in stock. There shouldn’t be a problem with UK customs, as we’re part of the EU.

Good choice. While you’re waiting, you can download the setup instructions and the eBook [Downloads & Tutorials] and start reading. Or go to the “Code” page and download some code to use as examples.
Welcome aboard.

None of the emb boards have 512k of flash and 100k ram so no for netmf.

Porting is about 6 months of work by the way

Of course, the same for Poland. I meant it’s easier to order from inside EU then directly from US. I guess it’s different in every country, but in Poland you need ship your US order to a private address to lower the chance of cutoms problems (VAT + customs fee). I’m talking about non-commercial usage of course. It is also good if the US customs declaration form on the package hast ‘gift’ or ‘sample’ checked and a value of less than 100$ declared.

Thanks! Had studied the eBook yesterday. :slight_smile: While Panda’s in the mail, i thought about soldering a board with a nokia lcd for it.

From what I found, most of that lcd’s have a tiny 12+12 connectors…

If anybody had tried, does it seem possible to solder a breakout for a connector that small at home?
Also what for are all this 24 pins? ??? If I understand right, SPI just uses 3 , +1 for the power and 1 for the ground…

That doesn’t look too difficult - Have you got any soldering wick?

Have a practise with the wick so you get comfortable with using it, and then what you want to do is blob the pins with solder, and get it off using the wick - That should leave you with half decent connections… There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it.

Main thing to watch out for is those little connectors melting. Thats a pain with plasticky bits.

Didn’t know about those soldering wicks before. Thanks! :slight_smile:

In addition to solder wick I also use a FLUX marker.