Wifi Error

I have trouble with wifi configuration. At university, I need to enter select network(mostly student network), enter username and password (unique username & password for every student) to gain access to internet. How will I able to enter username? As for now, I refer to other forums and sample wifi configuration, I only get the prompt to enter password. Is there any help I could refer to?

This is the error I got. It says connected but sooner after it shows error.

RS9110 firmware version Number is 4.4.5
RS9110 driver version Number is 4.4.5
Wireless is: Connected
SSID: scsugadgets
WiFi Channel number: 6
Wireless Network Type: Access Point
MAC Address: 18:EF:63:59:EB:10
RSSI: -64dB
Wireless Security Mode: WPA2
WiFi is now Connected to scsugadgets!
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Getway: 0.0.0.0

Network address changed!
DHCP is: Enabled
Is DynamicDnsEnabled enabled: False
NetworkInterfaceType 71
Network settings:
IP Address: 10.0.132.201
Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.132.254
Number of DNS servers:0

#### Exception System.Net.Sockets.SocketException - CLR_E_FAIL (1) ####
#### Message: 
#### Microsoft.SPOT.Net.SocketNative::getaddrinfo [IP: 0000] ####
#### System.Net.Dns::GetHostEntry [IP: 0008] ####
#### MFConsoleApplication1.Program::Main [IP: 01c5] ####
#### SocketException ErrorCode = 10060

A first chance exception of type ‘System.Net.Sockets.SocketException’ occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.Net.dll
Failed to Get the host entry of the FQN from DNS server!
A first chance exception of type ‘System.Net.Sockets.SocketException’ occurred in MFConsoleApplication1.exe
An unhandled exception of type ‘System.Net.Sockets.SocketException’ occurred in MFConsoleApplication1.exe

For your information, I dont have this issue using my home wifi. Yet, this only shows up when I connect to my university network. Anyone has the same issue would like to share the solution?

Have you looked up what a 10060 error means?

Does “Failed to Get the host entry of the FQN from DNS server!” tell you anything?

You ust study the information that is displayed when an exception occurs.

I understand it relates to unable to connect to the wifi but I wonder if someone has this related issue. It works fine but when I use home wifi but whenever I use university’s wifi, I get the failure. I understand it means that its timeout and unable to connect to host. Seeking if anyone would have idea on what information could I obtain or request from university technical support department regarding the wifi issue.

it does not relate to wifi. lookup the socket error and read the quoted message I posted.

it is explicit.

I dont get what you trying to say. the error is about the server unable to provide IP address once connected.

if (Wifi_Connected && Wifi.IsLinkConnected)
                {
                    Thread.Sleep(2000);
                    Debug.Print("IP Address: " + Wifi.NetworkInterface.IPAddress);
                    Debug.Print("Subnet Mask: " + Wifi.NetworkInterface.SubnetMask);
                    Debug.Print("Default Getway: " + Wifi.NetworkInterface.GatewayAddress);
                    for (int j = 0; j < Wifi.NetworkInterface.DnsAddresses.Length; j++)
                    {
                        Debug.Print("DNS Server: " + Wifi.NetworkInterface.DnsAddresses[j]);
                    }
                    Debug.Print("------------------------------------------------------");
                }
                else
                {
                    Debug.Print("The WiFi link is not connected!");
                }

try
                {
                    string hostName = "www.ghielectronics.com";
                    IPHostEntry myIP = Dns.GetHostEntry(hostName);

if (myIP != null)
                    {
                        Debug.Print("Testing access to Internet and DNS:");
                        Debug.Print(hostName + ": " + myIP.AddressList[0].ToString());
                    }
                }
                catch (SocketException e)
                {
                    Debug.Print("Failed to Get the host entry of the FQN from DNS server!");
                    if (e.ErrorCode == 11003)
                        Debug.Print("Re-Enable the module.");
                    throw;
                }

This is where the quote comes from. server unable to release IP, I google it and saying I able to get the result by using static IP which doesnt work. And I requested a specific IP assign to the device from the university technical department, it doesn’t work as well. I have no idea what I can do now with WIFI.

@ tach0902

That is not correct.

The error “Failed to Get the host entry of the FQN from DNS server!” is saying a DNS lookup for a host was done and the host could not be found. FQN means fully qualified name.

In an earlier listing, it showed “Number of DNS servers:0”. Without a DNS server address defined, you can not do a successful DNS lookup.

Yes, @ tach0902, your output shows that you did get a network address, so that is not your issue; as Mike says it’s because you don’t have DNS servers listed in your IP configuration.

Personally, I don’t think you’re going to achieve this on a Uni network where you need authentication, unless they cater for simple devices to enrol in the network. You probably will need to speak to faculty or support to understand how to achieve that, because the tools you have available to you in the framework are not intended to handle things like authentication.

@ tach0902 - Hi. Try to enable “DynamicDns” using something like this, before the Wifi.Join()

if (!Wifi.NetworkInterface.IsDynamicDnsEnabled)
         Wifi.NetworkInterface.EnableDynamicDns();

Note: EnableDynamicDns (as opposed to EnableStaticDns) is to flag the request of DNS entries from the DHCP server and has nothing to do with Dynamic DNS (or DDNS).

@ Brett None of the technical support able to help me. I have no choice but have to do it on personal wifi rather than commercial one.
@ CarlosC Thanks for suggestion. It doesn’t work. Commercial wifi have too many authentication and authorization needed to be done. Even it’s done, still unable to solve the issue. Uni network department has no idea what else to do.