Where is the NetworkStream Class?

Anyone know where I can find a

NetworkStream

class to use? Microsoft’s documentation seems to be out of date:
[url]Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career

That class isn’t in the mfdpwsextensions.dll (4.1 SDK).

it is in System.dll

Are the System.Net classes supported on FEZ Panda II? I ask because I noticed GHI has replicated most of the networking classes, so I wasn’t sure if I should be using the GHI or Microsoft types. I’m assuming because GHI provided their own, the Microsoft ones aren’t supported on the FEZ Panda II. Is that correct?

Correct

What GHI platforms (FEZ, EMX, Cobra, etc…) support the Microsoft networking libraries? I might be running into the some limitations of the FEZ Panda platform, so I’m starting to look at higher end platforms. I’m trying to find the least cost board that can run Microsoft’s networking code.

Emx(cobra),chipworkx

I need to use the GHIElectronics.NETMF.* properiatary namespaces instead of System.Net implementation. Because the standard System.Net is NOT supported for my Panda II.

To be honest, I’m a littlebit disappointed. The FEZ Panda II has a lot of nice features. But I feel forced into using the GHI.* namespaces for every bit of code. I don’t like this, because with a higher level programming platform I expect to be able to write code that virtually runs on all .NET Micro devices.

This is because the Panda runs a CPU that is really not supposed to be able to run MicroFramework. Thus things have been stripped out and/or optimised.

If you want cross platform portability then look at one of the bigger modules like EMX. That has LOTS more space and ram and can run the standard MF stack.

I would like to add that main issue is size. Using MF stack as is will just leave enough space for very small simple user applications.

It would have been great if we can fit it all on a single micros but today’s micros are not that powerful yet, maybe new ones next year will have more RAM to get us everything on a single chip.

Guys, thanks! I won’t give up :slight_smile: Having a hard time getting the TCP stack do what I want…

Aside from the initialization code for the W5100 support, the socket interface is the same on the W5100 and on the Cobra(EMS). The W5100 with the smaller boards can be a little difficult to tame.

If you are having a problem getting the stack to do what you want then that is something we can help you with.

Tell us about what you are trying to do, and what are the problems.