What's the base board in this picture?

What are the two black baseboards in this photo (both the one in the front and the second one in the rear)?

http://www.ghielectronics.com/images/catalog/371-2_large.jpg

Neither look like the Tamiya ones, so I’m curious who else is making 5mm grid sheets like those.

Pete

Something else we are expereninting with :slight_smile:

I like the looks of that experiment!!

I remember seeing in a video they mentioned that offsets and possibly other hardware would show up in the catalog. And I just ordered a couple Tamiya boards. /sigh

Mike

You can never have too many mounting boards.

If you find you do, you’re clearly short on modules. :wink:

Pete

What I’d love to see is some Gadgeteer-compatible LEGO interfaces…

Build an enclosure from LEGO, and mount the modules using custom parts that snap onto the LEGO bricks. THAT would be pretty awesome, IMO. :slight_smile:

Who needs a laser-cutter then?

What I’d love to see is some Gadgeteer-compatible LEGO interfaces<<

Dude, for the first time for as long as I’ve known you, you just impressed me

:wink:

Seriously, that’s an awesome idea. Must be done. What a great idea

Now I need to go see if I have any RTV silicone and resin that hasn’t gone bad

Pete

Pete,

those boards shipped with the mini robot, at least they were in my box.

Mike

@ devhammer I chuckled when I first read that but then I started to wonder why couldn’t there be a logo type box building kit and the more I thought about the clearer it was, that was a freaking brilliant idea. The modules are standardized so blocks could be built that mount modules with their front edge flush with the outside edge of the block and the area between the mounting pegs open to allow access to the card reader, music jacks, power plugs, etc. Modules like Joysticks, buttons, Potentiometer, etc could all share the same surface mount block that have a hole in the middle allowing cables etc to be connected to internally mounted project boards. So you wouldn’t have to make unique blocks for each module, so making a Lego case kit would be highly doable. You could make the top plate like an open grid that these button blocks plug into and where you don’t need a button block you could snap on a cap. Lego blocks for cases is a very cool idea.

The only downside is I’d have to get another purple and pink case to match my existing module case :slight_smile:

@ devhammer Maybe you can give those a try:

@ Weiti

I’d seen that project.

It’s a very cool idea. Unfortunately the creators have chosen to mar the project with a name worthy of a snickering teenage boy (and not a particularly mature one, at that), completely unsuitable for children. The author(s), alas, seem more interested in provocation than in truly making useful stuff.

+1 for the lego compatible gadgeteer interfaces!

+1 for lego compatable. also what about a mindstorms interface for motors and sensors?

Shouldn’t be difficult. AFAIK the Mindstorms sensors use normal GPIO, PWM, and analog inputs and outputs. The only hard part is the physical interface (and that’s just RJ-45 on the new versions, IIRC).

Well, just looked, and it turns out things have changed. The new RJ-45 version uses I2C and RS-485. Still shouldn’t be too difficult.

@ HughB I’ve been playing a little bit with doing a Mindstorms motor controller module, but haven’t gotten all that far yet. Looks like it’s just basic PWM, so should be pretty simple to implement that part. Reading the encoder is a little more involved, depending on how many motors one would want to control from a single module.

@ godefroi

Note that the mindsensors connector is NOT a standard RJ-45. The tab is offset, and while you can make your own by modifying an existing RJ-45, it’s probably less hassle in the long run to get the real deal.

I picked up one of these to do some prototyping:

You can also get connectors from mindsensors as well:

Lots of other good mindstorms stuff on that site.

Huh, odd.

I have the original version, so I’ve no experience with this new-fangled offset-rj45 fanciness.