What would you name a new FEZ?!...get yours for free!

Hehe I knew that one would cause a stir.

The only real reason for doing so would be to not cut off people who have now invested in shields for Domino - and that certainly isn’t a big deal in many cases. I personally have never liked shields, locked into an arbitrary pin position etc etc, and as you say stacking sucks.

If you build it, they will come.

FEZ VB(Versatile Board)
FEZ VC(Versatile Controller)

I am not trying to get off topic, but if its the Arduino pin configuration that some like, why not have GHI make an interface board similar to the “I/O 40 Expansion” board with the pin headers on them so people could interface with different shields? Just use a plugin style config like interfacing the Mini to the different boards. Then one doesn’t have to care what the main board layout is like.

PS Still liking the Phoenix name…:slight_smile:

Mike in MN

Making such board is very easy and can even be soldered by beginners. I am not seeing such expansion being important but if someone wanted to they can do it easily

Fez Domino V2.0
Fez Domino VGHI
Fez Domino Xtreme
Fez Domino+

I’m stopping here, my brain is already bleeding. :))

Request: Please add more space for the USB port. The current domino’s USB port is so close to the USB mini port that sometimes limit the USB peripherals it can use.

FEZ Discovery - discover what you can do!
FEZ VM - Virtual Machine, can be virtually anything
FEZ Mongoose - the predator of the Cobra :slight_smile:
FEZ Big Bananna - for all the monkeys at GHI :slight_smile:

FIZ
I is a vowel that comes after E. So, FIZ is the decendant of FEZ.

Fizius
Combination of F (from FEZ) + izi (from USBizi) + us (pronoun, an objective form of WE).

Just two for now.
Hope you like it.

Sam

OK, how about

FEZinator

or

FEZ Connect

When does the naming contest end?

I think we should have more meat to the contest :). May be we should let the contestants design a new FEZ.

Contestants need to understand the “GHI way” and design :slight_smile:

May be Gus can frame a loose standard for all to follow and contestants needs to turn in the Gerber or equivalent - or may be even a proto PCB.

May be I am nuts to think of this :slight_smile:

Comments ?

Actually, we have already thought about this. A FEZ that is made by the community! There is a little problem. The FEZ boards we design are extremely dense. Whoever is laying out the board, must have at least 5 years of professional experience. That is because we want to keep the board size to the minimal to fit nicely in a small enclosure.
I will give you a small example. Many users tried to expand on FEZ Domino to add more IOs and they couldn’t, and I am not surprised! The layout is so compact that there is no room to add more traces :smiley: The only way is to make the board much larger…and the GHI-way doesn’t allow for large ugly boards :wink:

Now, for the community-made-FEZ, that will be FEZ Gameo. This one should be easier to route and layout.

About the deadline for this contest. there is no set date. We are still seeing some very nice suggestions fro the name. I already like few myself but we will have to see what other developer think of the names we have here so far.

Makes sense, what dimensions are you looking at for a new board ? Is the layout going to continue providing “sheild” capability ?

I take that back - just read the previous post that the new layout will not go with the Arduino pinout.

We may share some info on the new FEZ in future. For now, we only need to give it a name :slight_smile:

The top priority at GHI now is to release NETMF 4.1 with full VS2010 support and we need to start shipping FEZ Cobra…VERY soon now

So from what the guys talked about here, we will stick to using animal names. Animal images will come in fun and handy when we offer t-shirts and hats :wink: A zoo of FEZes!

We will not use dinosaur-related names because this is saved for future, no raptor no trex for now!
The name must be non-English-speaking-friendly. For example, everyone knows what is a Cobra even if they do not speak English.
Also, the name must be short, “FEZ Taranchula” is too long.

A decision will be made on the name by next week.

By the way, I like FEZ Dominator and FEZ Raptor from the earlier ports but they do not fit what we explained above.

How about mythical animals like
FEZ Pheonix
FEZ Dragon

FEZ Fox
FEZ Cat
FEX Gato
FEX Wolf
FEX Lion
FEX Leopard (problem with Apple?)
FEX Tiger

I say FEZ Phoenix as well blittled :slight_smile:

Another two submission

FIZion

Fiz OX

Too hard to say for a non-English speaker

Not only hard, how non-English-speaking would know what is a phoenix?