What tutorial videos would you like to see?

I have a basic plan of what tutorials/simulations i want to record however i want to get other peoples feedback to make sure i’m on the right track for FEZ.

What would you like to see tutorials on? Anything from basic Object Oriented Programming concepts to Enterprise Architecture in software, or what resistors do to how to how to use some advanced sensors or devices for electronics - anything you want to know how to do with visual studio - any specific sensors, shield or devices you want to know how to interact with.

Put up a list with the order you’d like to see them in - let me know your current skillset in electronics, C# and visual studio.

It would be great if you could answer the questions below at the same time:

• Would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate, avid amateur, or do you do it for a living?
  • Would you watch tutorials and simulations if they were available?
  • Would you be interested in training with interactive quizzes that would score you to help reinforce the video content?
  • Would you be interested in doing these quizzes or tests to get a GHI/FEZ training ‘certification’ so other community members can see how crazy skilled you are?
  • Do you think that increasing your knowledge in electronics/programming through FEZ specific video walkthroughs would encourage you to spend more time (if that’s even possible) hacking electronics using GHI products, possibly even leading you to buy more of their products based on what you see in the tutorials?
  • Would you buy or be interested in an electronics kit like the Sparkfun Inventors Kit that includes all the components you need to get started with the tutorials?

I think having a lot of questions scared others from responding :slight_smile:

I personally think these tutorials are great for very beginners who are not sure where to start but once you move forward, in a month maybe, things become easier and no need for tutorials. What I see interesting though is making full projects and then a tutorial explaining how it was done. Like making a balancing robot and then explain how it was done. This will be of an interest for everyone, beginner to expert.

Not sure of others would agree with me though :slight_smile:

I agree. :smiley:

* Would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate, avid amateur, or do you do it for a living?
I’m a beginner of electronics (up until a week ago I still didn’t know what Volts was used to measure). I have programming experience with C#.

* Would you watch tutorials and simulations if they were available?
If its not “this is how you make a variable” tutorial then yes, I would watch anything related to electronics, hooking up sensors, querying them for data, soldering tutorials etc.

* Would you be interested in training with interactive quizzes that would score you to help reinforce the video content?
I’ve found that the good tutorials don’t need such quizzes as everything is laid out so simplistically thats its easy to understand from the first time, or the tutor just reminds us of something when we get to using it.

* Would you be interested in doing these quizzes or tests to get a GHI/FEZ training ‘certification’ so other community members can see how crazy skilled you are?
That is definitively a good idea and I think GHI should add this.

* Do you think that increasing your knowledge in electronics/programming through FEZ specific video walkthroughs would encourage you to spend more time (if that’s even possible) hacking electronics using GHI products, possibly even leading you to buy more of their products based on what you see in the tutorials?
Generally I would prefer tutorials that cover generic products, if GHI offer such product with some helpful extras like drivers then I would consider buying from GHI. Although its much easier to buy some similar product locally.

* Would you buy or be interested in an electronics kit like the Sparkfun Inventors Kit that includes all the components you need to get started with the tutorials?
I would much rather have a list of tools I would need to complete said tutorial, rather than having to buy a toolkit. Also providing alternatives to components/tools is good.

I also agree. Usually when I see a long post, i tend to skip…just me :slight_smile:

* Would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate, avid amateur, or do you do it for a living?

Absolute Newbie

* Would you watch tutorials and simulations if they were available?

I would watch all of them, even if they weren’t specifically targeted for what I would like to accomplish just to be exposed to more information.

* Would you be interested in training with interactive quizzes that would score you to help reinforce the video content?

Quizzes, not so much, my college days are behind me, no need for tests… :smiley:

* Would you be interested in doing these quizzes or tests to get a GHI/FEZ training ‘certification’ so other community members can see how crazy skilled you are?

No interest, see previous answer. But if I did have some expertise, I would share.

* Do you think that increasing your knowledge in electronics/programming through FEZ specific video walkthroughs would encourage you to spend more time (if that’s even possible) hacking electronics using GHI products, possibly even leading you to buy more of their products based on what you see in the tutorials?

Heck YES! I have been sitting on the side lines, reading books and watching videos for years, scared to buy something that might not work. Through finding TinyCLR, getting introduced to FEZ through the Ebook and few tutorials, I just pre-ordered my Panda along with some stuff to jump both feet in.

* Would you buy or be interested in an electronics kit like the Sparkfun Inventors Kit that includes all the components you need to get started with the tutorials?

All depends on what the kit offers and what the components would/could offer for what I am thinking about at the time.

Side note, I would love to see information/tutorials via video, or book that is full encompassing.

Too many times you will find information on the web that is just snippets, example C#, I have looking on ways to use DirectX’s DirectInput. There are many sources that tell you all the different methods out there to use DirectInput for a joystick, but it’s hard for a newbie like myself to apply those methods or syntax for a usable program.

This is what I liked about the couple FEZ videos I watched, add this reference on top, lay out your code like this because of this…you need to call up this pin here…The details for someone like me greatly helps understand it and also gets me excited that I can do it.

What I would really like to see is a C# Windows Form Application made that communicates with a NETMF program on the FEZ through a Serial or USB… IE, my Underwater Robot Concept… :D…[url]http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/1/706/[/url]

Ok, sorry for the long post, but you asked for it… :-[

Mike in MN

Added Name

Thanks Mike that is exactly the information i was looking for, it’s very encouraging reading your response.

Mark,

No problem… You asked, I answered.

I am willing to bet that many people are nervous about stating how “Green” they are behind the ears with this stuff, but my motto is “You don’t know until you know, and you Won’t know unless you ask”.

Mike in MN

* Would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate, avid amateur, or do you do it for a living? avid amateur

* Would you watch tutorials and simulations if they were available? Yes, I do already when they are posted.

* Would you be interested in training with interactive quizzes that would score you to help reinforce the video content? As this is a hobby for me I would not be interested in quizzes it was for novelty purposes, ie. FEZ competition against others from the forum.

* Would you be interested in doing these quizzes or tests to get a GHI/FEZ training ‘certification’ so other community members can see how crazy skilled you are? If I got some certificate of benefit from doing so, then sure.

* Do you think that increasing your knowledge in electronics/programming through FEZ specific video walkthroughs would encourage you to spend more time (if that’s even possible) hacking electronics using GHI products, possibly even leading you to buy more of their products based on what you see in the tutorials? If I spent any more time on my Fez my girlfriend would quickly become my ex. :slight_smile:

* Would you buy or be interested in an electronics kit like the Sparkfun Inventors Kit that includes all the components you need to get started with the tutorials? Yes, as long as they were available for the right price and were readily available in Australia.