What Gadgeteer module would be needed to control a WS2811-based LED strip?

I have a FEZ Spider and a FEZ Cerberus available. Can anyone recommend what Gadgeteer module(s) would be needed to allow me to control a WS2811-based LED strip, such as “Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - White 60 LED - 1m”, using one of these mainboards?

Then, a second question - is there an example wiring diagram or tutorial available showing how the strip would connect for control and power?

I’ve very new to Gadgeteer and am primarily software person.

Thanks.

From Adafruit:

[quote]… the controller chip is inside the LED, which is kind of cool, but also means that the chip only uses a single pin for input and a single pin for output. The protocol used is very very timing-specific and can only be controlled by microcontrollers with highly repeatable 100nS timing precision. We have example code for using with the Arduino Uno/Mega microcontroller at 8MHz and 16MHz, but it will not work with the Raspberry Pi, Basic Stamp, NETduino, any other interpreted/virtual machine microprocessor or any processor slower than 8 MHz. For those processors, check our 32 LED/meter digital LED strip which has SPI-like input/output and works well with Pi, NETduino, and other processors.
[/quote]

I guess you should move into RLP?

1 Like

codeshare boys, codeshare. You can do it with SPI timing… https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/search?q=ws2811

5 Likes

Good find! :wink: :slight_smile:

@ Brett -

Thanks for your reply.

Please forgive my ignorance. Is there any Gadgeteer module (in production or discontinued) that would allow me to do this with SPI timing via a Cerberus or Spider? Or am I completely off base?

Thanks.

@ njbuch -

Thanks for your reply.

Am I correct in saying that RLP is the .NETMF equivalent of PInvoke in .NET? Do you know of any additional examples, documentation, tutorials, etc. beyond what is given at https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/50/rlp ?

Thanks.

@ andre.m -

Understood. Thanks.

@ andre.m -

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t know that these mainboards provided SPI directly. I have a little more learning/reading curve to get through before I’m ready to figure this part out.