What connector style do you prefer

I am designing a new board for evaluating a particular processor. As i am bringing out the i/o pins i am torn between using SIL (single in line) or DIL (Dual in line) pins for the user to gain access to.
Seems like there are 2 camps out there. You have the stuff like the Arduino which sticks with SIL.
Yet you have things like the Hydra which uses the DIL.
Personally i like the DIL, takes up less room and you can make the board smaller. But i see people gripe when they dont have SIL.

So I would like to know from you guys, if you were to buy a kit for evaluating something what type of I/O connector would you prefer to have on it ?

Thanks.

Depends on how many io pins you have.

@ Architect, you think so ? I have seen things with little & allot of I/O have both.

If it doesn’t change dimensions of the board than choose the simplest one. Otherwise choose the ratio (board width/board height) or any other constraints that you might came up with and see what works the best.

That would be my approach.

I have 60 pins to give the user access to.
I personally am not an Arduino fan, but it seems those guys love the SIL pins.
whereas i prefer the DIL like on the Hydra.

60 pins is a lot. DIL would make more sense.

I agree with you, Just concerned that some people will want the SIL. Yet i like the DIL because if you want to connect something you have a more stable way to attach a cable.

The SIL works for the board now, but i think i want to change it to DIL.

That is a nice looking board! ;D

Thanks, but would people like it better with DIL instead of the SIL on it.

You can’t make everybody happy. DIL makes more sense for that board to me, unless I am missing something.

Quite True, but i would like to go with the larger crowd :wink:

I could also do the board this way using DIL. So given these two boards options which one will people like more.

I’m also a fan of DIL - it’s more stable (as you pointed out), reduces the effective board real-estate requirements and helps make the connector organization cleaner.

For a board with that kind of layout, I think the important consideration is what type of sockets or headers you’re going to put there; easy to get often helps.