Want to learn FPGA programming

@ Architect - I meant to say what about vhdl?

Looks like all Mojo tutorials are in Verilog.

Free VHDL book:
http://www.freerangefactory.org/site/pmwiki.php/Main/Books

VHDL is supported and but it’s not going any further ahead. Now last chips are better suited in Verilog (like his evolution SystemVerilog).
I’d go Verilog.
VHDL is a good starting point for a fresher, it is strongly typed and so less error prone. Commercial product are mostly worked in Verilog (my collegues that face FPGA programming moved to Verilog since few years).

My feeling is that verilog is mostly used in US while VHDL is prefered in Europe. Anyway, an old dream starts to become more and more possible by using C/C++ and ore systemC. Behavioral synthesis becomes reliable and therefore more and more popular. Even if it is not affordable at all, CatapultC provides good results and some experiments shows that even academic tools such as GAUT from LabSTICC: http://hls-labsticc.univ-ubs.fr/ or ABC from Berkeley ABC: A System for Sequential Synthesis and Verification are good competitors.

That is one reason I backed Parallella on Kickstarter. :slight_smile:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

They have been sponsored by Xilinx and are putting a Zynq-7020 on all the Kickstarter boards. That has three times the FPGA space that the original Zynq-7010 had.

Be prepared for FPGA. You really have to think outside the box. You have to let go of the whole concept of “sequential instructions”. :slight_smile:

Thanks Errol! Did you get Parallella?

Still waiting. Delevery is expected in May.

I have one of these on my shelf: Digilent – Start Smart, Build Brilliant.

Played with it quite a lot, till my eval Microblaze license expired, then I more or less shelved it. The sales page said that a fill license is included. Distributor knew nothing about it… :frowning:

Fired it up a while ago to use as a SUMP logic analyser till I got my Open Bench Logic Sniffer…

I think that the future of this chips will get to grhical design with no code at the user side. Xilinx on the other hand is going there with Ise and vivado.

I have no issue with that. :slight_smile: As long as I can get to the “code behind”.

Would be nice to have a Visual Studio designer support similar to what Gadgeteer has now.

Even better. Have you looked at the PSOC5 range from Cypress?

The PSOC5 is a 32bit Cortex4 CPU with a bit of FPGA attached. You can use the FPGA to add an I2C port(or 10) or PWM or SPI or your own design, using Verilog or via designing the circuit with gates and logic…

See: http://www.cypress.com/?id=2492

I like that chip too. On my to do list to try it. I like how you can configure any pins to anything with it.

Once you play with the software you will like it even more. :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong. There are lots of room for improvement. The FPGA designer also automatically adds software drivers for any hardware you add to the FPGA, but there is no clear “this is how you use the driver that was just added”. There is also no “Navigate to declaration” for example.

Actually the coding environment lags a bit behind the FPGA design part…

Are you talking about PSOC5 ?

Yes.

I don’t think that FPGAs will take off until MicroSemi’s flash based FPGA patents expire. This is because of “firm” errors DRAM based FPGAs [url]FPGAs and PLDs | Microchip Technology

Verilog = Visual Basic, while VHDL = c++

I purchased a book that has high ratings on Amazon (FPGA Prototyping By Verilog Examples: Xilinx Spartan-3 Version) and it covers everything that is involved in getting up to speed with FPGAs from the IDE setup (which is a painful thing, you’re know right quick it’s not Visual Studio) to making the PicoBlaze Soft CPU.

FPGA Accelerators at JP Morgan Chase - YouTube FPGA Accelerators at JP Morgan Chase

What used to take them an hour now takes them 12 seconds.

FPGA development is not Software Development, it’s Hardware development; Verilog and VHDL are used to document digital electronics (like Processors)

Looks even better “in person” :smiley:

@ Architect - That board looks very nice, I am going to need to get into FPGA.

This was one of the best KS experience. No delays, fast shipment, great quality.

I can’t wait to see what you do with it :slight_smile: FPGAs are very interesting. I wish I had time to make it worth investing in.