Want to learn a new skill fast? Try tDCS

does this really work? Its got to be a spoof hasn’t it?

May not be a spoof, but I’m skeptical.

Not skeptical that there may be something to the notion of electrically stimulating the brain, and its impact on how we experience the world around us. But rather that such a blunt-force technique as strapping an electrode to your temple and arm would provide such dramatic and consistent results.

But let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and say it does work. I would argue that we understand so little about the brain at this point that deliberately zapping your brain with even small currents is phenomenally risky. No telling what the long term, or even short term, side-effects might be.

And before anyone points out that we alter our brains regularly with all kinds of substances, from caffeine, to alcohol, to even harder stuff, I would simply note that in all of those cases, we’ve got a fairly long track record of what those substances do.

Personally, I think I’ll stick with things like the Pomodoro Technique for enhancing focus and flow. :slight_smile:

@ devhammer That looks interesting, do you use this technique all the time or just for specific tasks. It looks very interesting.

I quite agree with your comments about zapping the old grey matter with a current. Its an interesting article though.

Unfortunately, I am inconsistent about my use of the Pomodoro Technique, which is a shame because my experience tells me that it works REALLY well.

The truth is that people are not built for multi-tasking, not any more than a computer is. The difference between a computer and a person is that computers are MUCH better at switching context quickly, so when a computer switch-tasks (i.e. - time slicing, or allocating very tiny bits of CPU time to multiple processes), it is able to create the illusion that it’s doing multiple things at once (multitasking).

People, as a rule SUCK at context switching, so when we attempt to “multi-task” we do so with enormous inefficiency as we have to acquire the context for a given task, get interrupted (or interrupt ourselves…SQUIRREL!), switch back to our original task, reacquire the context, etc.

The advantage of the Pomodoro Technique (or similar time-boxing techiques) is that they help you focus on a single task for a specific period of time that is sufficient to actually make progress on that task. And in the case of the classic 25 minute Pomodoro, that time period is not so long as to make you feel like you’ll miss something critical by not checking email/twitter/etc. for that long.

Give it a try…as I said, I’m not always consistent about doing it, but when I do, I’m consistently better at accomplishing what I set out to do. :slight_smile:

Hahahahahahah proper belly laugh at that.
I will give this a go. I have so much going on at work that I need a really simple method to break it up, this looks great. Many thanks for the pointer, I don’t know why I didn’t think to do something like the pomodoro before. It seems so obvious.

Of course it does. Most things do, once someone else has done us the favor of figuring it out. :wink:

Glad I could help, and I hope you find it useful. Now off to do another pomodoro…