Want to help with Gadgeteer?

If so, please reply with a list of mainboards and modules you own.

If you haven’t yet, watch this video

3 Likes

Spider, Spider II, Raptor, Cerberus, Spider clone, Hydra

Modules: pretty much one of everything, including most of the community ones too. I’ll get a list later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sign me up. It’s been a while since I did engaging with my GHI stuff. Long enough that I’ve completely forgotten which board I first bought, but It was some Spider i think. I remember it had an SD card to/from which I read/wrote some xml files.

But the most fun I had was with the FEZ Game-O. Unfortunately I only bought one and missed out on snagging a handful when those went EOL.

I’d even extended someone’s WPF type implementation that enabled form design via XML that translated into either VB or C# .net by implementing and instantiating constructors and properties and methods.

Of course the modest resources of the Game-O limited what I could do but there was never a dull moment.

I’m seriously into .NET/C# ( among other things ) and am currently working on a long term ( lazy ) project which I will describe later, for which the planning/design aspect would be done on a regular PC app, which would subsequently be “run” as a simulation - BUT the idea is to take the generated “binary” and deploy it to hardware and have it run standalone. None of the GUI ( Windows app ) scaffolding would be needed.

All the GHI product ranges, I have to admit, have thoroughly confused me. :blush: But I love the joy of using Visual Studio. I have no idea what module will work for my final product - and it may not even exist at the moment, since I kind of need something very small. But I’ll burn that bridge when I come to it :).

We home school our daughter (9) following “fun-can-be-work” STEAM philosophy but I want to introduce her to something serious right away. Not that there is anything wrong with the Brainpad - but knowing her, and she was my beta tester for my Game-O Tetris variation that had extended piece shapes and sized (Pentris!) and also used the accelerometer to orient itself ( and the button usage ) when the console was turned around! And the poor device couldn’t keep up with her use cases.

One thought I have had over the years, on the .NET Micro Framework front, has been how difficult/feasible would it be to keep an ongoing “micro” initiative going, abreast of each regular .NET framework version - keeping the scope limited to whatever is necessary. But I’m beginning to think that TinyCLR may just be the bridge that spans that chasm quite nicely. …s

3 Likes

I think it was a Panda. Aarh.

All of them plus a few more :blush:

So i’m a starter for 10

Mainboards:

• Spider
  • Hydra
  • Cerberus
  • Cobra II
  • Cerbuino Bee
  • Cerbot

Modules:

• LED 7R
  • LED Strip
  • Multicolor LED
  • LEDMatrix
  • 4 Digit Alphanumeric (IngenuityMicro)
  • Display HD44780
  • 3.5" LCD Module (T35)
  • OLED Display (Seeed)
  • Display N18
  • VGA Module (VideoOut)
  • CharDisplay
  • Button
  • Button S7
  • Ethernet J11D
  • WiFi RS21
  • Bluetooth
  • Bluetooth SMART (IngenuityMicro)
  • Cellular Radio
  • E-Block Extender
  • Tunes
  • SD Card
  • LightSense
  • Joystick
  • USB Host
  • Distance US3
  • Camera
  • Potentiometer
  • GPS (Seeed)
  • Gyro (Seeed)
  • Accelerometer (Seeed)
  • Barometer (Seeed)
  • Compass (Seeed)
  • Moisture Sensor (Seeed)
  • Amp M35
  • Music Module
  • Motor Driver L298
  • Chucky (by @Architect)
  • MIDI (by Pete Brown)
  • Extender
  • NES Gamepad Module (by Pete Brown)
  • PIR
  • TripleSlide (SolderMonkey)
  • Rotary Encoder (SolderMonkey)
  • MegaMoto (GMod)
  • DL40
  • UC Battery 4xAA
  • OBD II

May have missed a few, but that covers most of it.

1 Like

All mainboards from Love’s Electronics Argon1 on up through all Mountaineer and GHI boards and some custom or otherwise unknown mainboards.

All modules including from most independent makers and pretty much every experimental board @Justin ever dreamed up and some I’m still not sure what exact state of mind he was in at the time but the results were still interesting.

I’m not sure how much time I have available as I’ve been put on some different projects, but certainly I’m interested as I loved the Gadgeteer concept and building cool devices with it.

1 Like

Mainboards:

• Spider I & II
  • Cerberus
  • Raptor

Modules:
•LED 7R
•LED Strip
•Multicolor LED
•Display HD44780
•3.5" LCD Module (T35)
•OLED Display (Seeed)
•Display N18
•CharDisplay
•Button
•Button S7
•Ethernet J11D
•WiFi RS21
•Bluetooth SMART (IngenuityMicro)
•Tunes
•SD Card
•LightSense
•USB Host
•Camera
•Gyro
•Accelerometer
•Compass
•Motor Driver L298
•Extender
•Rotary Encoder
•UC Battery 4xAA

1 Like

Hydra, Cerberus, Cerbot, Spider II, Raptor

Whole lot of modules.

This is what I have so far, a starting point and then later this will go on the live docs when we are happy. It is GitHub if you want to jump in and help :wink:

The modules:
https://github.com/ghi-electronics/Docs/blob/Gadgeteer-fixing-all/hardware/legacy_products/gadgeteer/modules.md

The FEZ Spider II
https://github.com/ghi-electronics/Docs/blob/Gadgeteer-fixing-all/hardware/legacy_products/gadgeteer/fez_spider_ii.md

I have a couple of Spyders. 42 year veteran of the code wars, now retired. Last 12 years, .NET/C#. C/C++ before that.

1 Like

From the replies I can see that those who own gadgeteer, have a lot of boards, almost everything! I was going to focus on some common board but looks like evening together is needed.

Anyone has a Cerberus or cerbuino running TinyCLR and want to start now?

I have some modules, but most importantly I did successfully use a couple of Mountaineer ETH boards in some networked projects and I still have some lying around. Tell me if I can help with those.

Here are pins on the cerbuino bee Gadgeteer sockets. Load the Cerberus firmware from the current TinyCLR release then use this class to get to pins on the sockets easily. Now take a look at this and try simple things, like a button.

namespace GHIElectronics.TinyCLR.Pins {
    public static class FEZCerbuinoBee {
        public static class GpioPin {
            public const int DebugLed = (16 + 2);
            public const int SdCardDetect = (32 + 2);

public static class Socket1 {
                public const int Pin3 = (0 + 14);
                public const int Pin4 = (16 + 10);
                public const int Pin5 = (16 + 11);
                public const int Pin6 = (0 + 13);
                public const int Pin7 = (16 + 5);
                public const int Pin8 = (16 + 4);
                public const int Pin9 = (16 + 3);
            }

public static class Socket2 {
                public const int Pin3 = (0 + 6);
                public const int Pin4 = (0 + 2);
                public const int Pin5 = (0 + 3);
                public const int Pin6 = (0 + 1);
                public const int Pin7 = (0 + 0);
                public const int Pin8 = (16 + 7);
                public const int Pin9 = (16 + 6);
            }

public static class Socket3 {
                public const int Pin3 = (32 + 0);
                public const int Pin4 = (32 + 1);
                public const int Pin5 = (0 + 4);
                public const int Pin6 = (32 + 5);
                public const int Pin7 = (16 + 8);
                public const int Pin8 = (0 + 7);
                public const int Pin9 = (16 + 9);
            }

}

public static class AdcChannel {
            public static class Socket2 {
                public const int Pin3 = 0;
                public const int Pin4 = 1;
                public const int Pin5 = 2;
            }

public static class Socket3 {
                public const int Pin3 = 3;
                public const int Pin4 = 4;
                public const int Pin5 = 5;
            }
        }
    }
}

Spider II, Raptor and Hydra used in timing control system with RS232 modules, Xbee modules with displays

Hi,
I think it would be good to have some guidance and rules how to write drivers for gadgeteer boards (conventions for namespace labelling, recommendations for parameters in the constructors, tests for using allowed input/output pins) and so on. What will be if different people write different drivers for the same module? Will there be a list of official “GHI approved” driver? Who will test and comment a proposed driver? Who decides whether a driver has sufficient quality and how can this be seen by a potential user? Should there be one person who coordinates the activities for a special driver? There are already several drivers from GadgeteerToTinyCLR/TinyApp/GHIElectronics.TinyCLR.Gadgeteer at master · Gravicode/GadgeteerToTinyCLR · GitHub and others. Should these drivers be taken in a list of “recommended” drivers? I think some of these questions should be solved before it is worth the effort to contribute. I’m willing to help an have several mainboards and modules.
Kind regards
RoSchmi

We have to start somewhere. Do you want to start this effort? On my end, I want to see what GHI needs to provide to make the first step possible. These are all discontinued products and there is no financial reasons for GHI to do it. However, we really care and willing to do what is necessary.

2 Likes

I almost forgot about this. @mifmasterz already started the drivers How to deploy TinyCLR to FEZ Raptor and porting the Gadgeteer modules drivers to TinyCLR

1 Like

I aggree! If there is no better suggestion I would recommend to have a look on the drivers of mifmasterz (e.g. the button module) discuss some points concerning e.g. the namespaces and, if there are no objections, take these drivers as a starting point (may be there are already other drivers which I do not know). I think that I myself have not enough skills to give well-founded recommendations. There are much more qualified people at GHI and in the community. However I think, if we don’t get concrete, we will not proceed.

1 Like

“Bringing back Gadgeteer, sort of” is wonderful news!!! :grinning:

I am trying to install TinyCLR on my Fez Spider II, but the instructions are a little unclear.

On this page (http://docs.ghielectronics.com/hardware/legacy_products/gadgeteer/fez_spider_ii.html), point 9 states:

• Select the G120 Bootloader v203.ghi (or newer) file. You can find available downloads here

…but there is no link and I cannot find that file anywhere on the GitHub repro or releases.

Please help.