VS 2022 causes errors after installing GHI software

I decided to move up to VS2022 as I could not get VS2019 to create a project using the 2.2 release without mscorelib version issues.

I installed VS2022 with C# and I was able to create a desktop test program.

I then used the extensions manager to install the TinyCLR project system which was fine but when I went to start VS2022 I got some errors like below;

VSerror1

VSerror2

VSerror1

And when the create project window finally appeared after the errors, TinyCLR is not in the list.

I’ve run REPAIR on the VS2022 installation but I still can’t get the TinyCLR project to install and show up without errors.

I tried removing the ComponentModelCache directory as indicated via a Google search but that still gives me the same error.

I decided to move up to VS2022 as I could not get VS2019 to create a project using the 2.2 release without mscorelib version issues.

We don’t update anything on VS2019. Meaning VS2019 default still use mscorlib 2.1.0.
After you created project on 2019, if you want to use VS2022, you need to uninstall TinyCLR Core 2.1 and install Core 2.2.
You need to uninstall, clean project, delete packages folder… not just delete or remove from explorer window.

For VS2022, first time I have seen this error. Can you please uninstall and reinstall again?

Hi Dat,
I encountered the same problem of Dave_McLaughlin, exactly the same errors when loading any solution after installing the TinyCLR OS Project System extension.

Originally VS2022 was working correctly, I think the problem started with TinyCLR OS Project System extension 2.2.0.4000 or 4200 (I’m not sure on which one).

I currently use VS2019 (with TinyCLR OS Project System extension V2.1.700) and I can debug solutions with TinyCLR Libraries and firmware V2.2.0.4200 and everything works: any TinyCLR solution, regardless the TinyCLR version used, loads correctly, the same for non-TinyCLR solutions.

I completely uninstalled VS2022, cleaned up everything (using C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\InstallCleanup.exe to remove any VS entry both in the file system and the registry) and reinstalled it.

Just after the reinstallation, non-TinyCLR solutions load correctly.

After installing the TinyCLR OS Project System extension, I get the same errors as the ones described by Dave, even when trying to load a not-TinyCLR solution!!!

If I open the VS2022 IDE without code, I don’t see the the TinyCLR OS Project System extension in the Extensions Manager, and if I try to create a new project the TinyCLR OS platform is not listed, so I think there is a problem in the extension installation procedure that fails even if it says that the installation has completed.

I searched the web and I didn’t find any clue on how to solve this problem.

You said:
“After you created project on 2019, if you want to use VS2022, you need to uninstall TinyCLR Core 2.1 and install Core 2.2. You need to uninstall, clean project, delete packages folder… not just delete or remove from explorer window.”

Can you please be more detailed on this? About TinyCLR Core 2.1 or Core 2.2 I think you refer to the SitCore firmware, but the problem comes before connecting the SOM. The problem appears before connecting the device.

I remember that before encountering those errors (with the previous extension version I guess), I used to open the TinyCLR solution both with VS2019 and VS2022 with no problems.

Best,
Vittorio

Hi Dave, did you fix the issue yet :))

I gave up and removed VS2022 and went back to VS2019 for the time being as I needed to get the project completed.

Hi Dat,
any news on this topic? I’m also still using VS2019 Enterprise as if I install the “TinyCLR-OS-Project-System-v2.2.0.4200.vsix” on VS2022 Enterprise, the IDE doesn’t load projects any more, even not-TinyCLR projects, firing the bunch of errors described by [Dave_McLaughlin].
The vsix extension is not listed in the Extensions Manager of VS. If needed, I can send you the install log (messages are in Italian, though).

The last 4 lines of the vsix installer log are the following (translated from Italian):
27/07/2022 14:27:48 - The following target products have been selected…
27/07/2022 14:27:48 - Visual Studio Enterprise 2022
27/07/2022 14:27:48 -
27/07/2022 14:27:48 - Starting the extension installation on Visual Studio Enterprise 2022…
27/07/2022 14:27:50 - Installation on Visual Studio Enterprise 2022 completed. The extension has been installed to C:\Users\digil\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\17.0_a99307f1\Extensions\x3wxmhhc.unb\

Best,
Vittorio

Are you using VS 2022 Enterprise?

Could you please install and test on VS 2022 Community ?

Hi Dat,
sorry for the late reply.
I just want to let you know that with VS2022 Community Edition the problems are not arising.

So the “TinyCLR-OS-Project-System-v2.2.0.4200.vsix” file, once installed, messes up the VS2022 Enterprise edition but not the Community Edition.

Best,
Vittorio

Thanks, that makes sense to me!