Visual Studio vNext & Azure event

Yeah, i am looking forward to upgrade from vs12 :wink: hope it’s soon.

HTML + JS == ewww (though the demo did look pretty cool; breakpoints and click to show “DOM” object in the markup)

Didn’t Xamarin announce something regarding Starter Edition? I know they said it’s 2015 compatible, but I thought something about free integration into VS – currently/previously you’d need to buy the Pro version.

What’s the definition of an “Enterprise” application?

Is it just for non-“professional” development? Or can small companies use it to develop internal/customer facing applications?

Found this: Microsoft Launches Free, Unrestricted Version Of Visual Studio For Small Teams | TechCrunch

I guess this is like the free TFS for small teams of a year or two ago.

2 Likes

the new MS is scaring me… but am loving it

1 Like

You are getting old! :smiley:

:slight_smile: oh oh

Lol, even the marketing manager at Microsoft can’t get it right… SIGNAL-R! SIGNAL! NOT SINGLE-R!

Cant find the sequence, can you say which one of the slots IOT and Gadgeteer is appearing?

As I read it, non Enterprise is anything non profit and teams up to 5 developers.

Could it be: non Enterprise is anything non profit OR teams up to 5 developers?

I’m from Bavaria/Germany, so your OR is my AND :smiley:

Connect() Day 2 Live starts in 30 minutes.

What’s the definition of “enterprise”? Company size? Profit? Non Client/Server?

It’s a very ambiguous term, imo.

Oh shoot, I’ll have to run … thanks 4 the notification

… time flies when having fun with VS2015 …

Yeah, I have some errands too. Will watch it later. :frowning:

Enterprise means >250 PCs or >$1MM in annual revenue. For those users, only the academic/open-source/etc stuff. For non-enterprise (<250 PCs, <$1MM in annual revenue), up to 5 developers working on commercial stuff.

Giving away what is essentially full Visual Studio Professional for free to individuals and very small companies is huge, in my opinion.
Between the free VS and all the open source releases I think it speaks to how much ground Microsoft has lost in the development world over the last few years.

I haven’t watch yet this morning but what I saw yesterday was exciting.

@ andre.m - The majority of the development going on is in the web and device world. Visual Studio is not the “go-to” development environment for those areas. Some of that is because of cost, the other is because VS has been primary for the Microsoft ecosystem. My hope is that where companies have created extensions for Eclipse they will start doing the same thing for VS.

I still think the web dev world is chaos. I am working on developing a single page web site. The number of plugins and addons to make it all happen is crazy. It makes me anxious to get back to my embedded development projects. :wink:

We generally think of “Enterprise” as the kind of company that would normally buy volume licenses.

But here’s our actual definition

Q: Who can use Visual Studio Community?
A: Here’s how individual developers can use Visual Studio Community:
[ul]Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community to create their own free or paid apps.
[/ul]
Here’s how Visual Studio Community can be used in organizations:
[ul]An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.[/ul][ul]For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations, up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1MM in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.
[/ul]

Q: How does Visual Studio Community 2013 compare to other Visual Studio editions?
A: Visual Studio Community 2013 includes all the great functionality of Visual Studio Professional 2013, designed and optimized for individual developers, students, open source contributors, and small teams.

Source: Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition – Download Latest Free Version

Pete

1 Like