Using TinyCLR OS on a FEZ Spider - Tech Talk 049

We show you how to load the new Bootloader V2 on a FEZ Spider I (EMX) so you can run TinyCLR OS on it and use the latest version of Visual Studio with your old Gadgeteer board.

Bootloader documentation:
http://docs.ghielectronics.com/hardware/loaders/ghi_bootloader.html

FEZ Spider documentation:
http://docs.ghielectronics.com/hardware/legacy_products/gadgeteer/fez_spider.html

2 Likes

Good info thanks!
Didnt know bootloader v2 sat on top of bootloader v1 , I assumed replaced.
Whats the reason it doesn’t just replace BL v1?

1 Like

Loaders are locked and not meant to be changed.

Hi guys,

I know this post is old but I decide to give another run with my Spider II board and I’m stock with the upload of the TinyCLR stage where it can upload it; I have multiple version of the EMX Firmware but it keep blocking at 0.3% and then it get cancelled.

I’ll appreciate very much if someone can help me with this.

Thanks,
Benoit.

I don’t think these older netmf boards will run any version 2 of TinyCLR, are you trying to install version 1?

Stop at 0.3% usually bootloder is not happy with firmware. It could be:

• forget check 1k option.
  • use netmf tinybooter but bootloder 2.x.
  • use tinyclr 1.0 firmware but bootloader 1.x
  • wrong firmware.

Tell us what file and what bootloader installed on it.

And yes, there is no tinyclr 2.x on emx.

Hi Dat,

Thanks for your reply.

From your points:

• Yes, I check the 1k option
• I use this boot loader: G120 Bootloader v2.0.4.ghi
• I use this TinyClr firmware: EMX Firmware v0.9.0.glb
• Can you point me to the right firmware if I’m using the wrong one?

Thanks.
Benoit.

This is all publicly published.
Downloads (ghielectronics.com)
Will show you the legacy TinyCLR 1.0 information.
The download for G120 is 1.0.0, dated in 2018, and the direct link is http://files.ghielectronics.com/downloads/TinyCLR/Firmwares/G120/G120%20Firmware%20v1.0.0.glb.

But please, take note of the warning against attempting to use this. TinyCLR 1.0 is no longer supported, it was an interim step from NetMF to where we are today with modern processors and TinyCLR 2.0, and if you’re after a fully fledged offering you probably should still be using NetMF.

Ok, I was able to upload that version of the firmware.

Now, If I try to run a console app with almost nothing, I got this error during the deployment:

Starting device deployment.
Attempting to connect to device ‘USB:G120’: iteration 0.
Opening port ‘\?\usb#vid_1b9f&pid_5007#8&19475a4&0&3#{c13bcfe9-5e84-4187-9baa-45597ffcbb6f}’.
Attaching debugger engine.
Debugger engine attached.
Generating device specific assemblies.
- TinyCLRApplication2 v1.0.0.0 with size 288 bytes at ‘D:\Dev\Geniesoft\TinyCLR\TinyCLRApplication1\TinyCLRApplication2\bin\Debug\pe\TinyCLRApplication2.pe’.
- mscorlib v2.1.0.0 with size 72,428 bytes at ‘D:\Dev\Geniesoft\TinyCLR\TinyCLRApplication1\TinyCLRApplication2\bin\Debug\pe\mscorlib.pe’.
Total deployment size is 72,716 bytes.
Incrementally deploying assemblies to the device:
There were not enough space totaling 0 bytes found for assembly: 72716.
Assemblies not successfully deployed to the device.
Deployment to the device was not successful.

Any idea?

Thanks.

G120 doesn’t support v2.x.

You need to uninstall TinyCLR OS v2.0, install TinyCLR OS 1.0 or NetMF 4.3 extension.

And remember to uninstall TinyCLR Config V 2.0 before installing V1.0. And make sure Visual Studio is configured NOT to automatically update your nuget packages or you’ll have issues.

or better still, stop trying to run TinyCLR and go back to netmf. Seriously, debugging issues like this are not worth it

Hey guys.

I move everything to V1.0.0.0 but still getting the memory size issue when I deploy to the FEZ Spider II!

Any idea what I should do?

See log below.

Thanks,
Benoit.

Looking for a device on transport ‘USB’.
Found device port ‘USB’ with ID ‘69d400db-b619-4a54-9583-2cfd7baead87’ for transport ‘Usb’.
Starting device deployment.
Attempting to connect to device ‘USB:G120’: iteration 0.
Opening port ‘\?\usb#vid_1b9f&pid_5007#8&19475a4&0&3#{c13bcfe9-5e84-4187-9baa-45597ffcbb6f}’.
Attaching debugger engine.
Debugger engine attached.
Generating device specific assemblies.
- Blinky v0.0.0.0 with size 768 bytes at ‘D:\Dev\Geniesoft\TinyCLR\TinyCLR-Samples-master\Projects\Hello World Blinky\bin\Debug\pe\Blinky.pe’.
- mscorlib v1.0.0.0 with size 72,284 bytes at ‘D:\Dev\Geniesoft\TinyCLR\TinyCLR-Samples-master\Projects\Hello World Blinky\bin\Debug\pe\mscorlib.pe’.
- GHIElectronics.TinyCLR.Devices.Gpio v1.0.0.0 with size 4,808 bytes at ‘D:\Dev\Geniesoft\TinyCLR\TinyCLR-Samples-master\Projects\Hello World Blinky\bin\Debug\pe\GHIElectronics.TinyCLR.Devices.Gpio.pe’.
- GHIElectronics.TinyCLR.Native v1.0.0.0 with size 4,220 bytes at ‘D:\Dev\Geniesoft\TinyCLR\TinyCLR-Samples-master\Projects\Hello World Blinky\bin\Debug\pe\GHIElectronics.TinyCLR.Native.pe’.
Total deployment size is 82,080 bytes.
Incrementally deploying assemblies to the device:
There were not enough space totaling 0 bytes found for assembly: 82080.
Assemblies not successfully deployed to the device.
Deployment to the device was not successful.

PC is TinyCLR OS 1.0 but how about the firmware on device?

Is it TinyCLR OS 1.0 or netmf?

This is what I’ve upload: G120 Firmware v1.0.0.glb

Zip your project and firmware then send to us. So far we don’t see why it doesn’t work.

How can I send you the file?

Zip and send to me by private message

or use google drive link. Any way you feel comfortable.

Hi all,

I know that this topic starts to be very old but I also see that the support is still doing a great job, therefore I’ll take my chances.

Based on Upgrading fez cobra 1.3 to tinyclros - TinyCLR OS - GHI Electronics’ Forums, I’m trying to update my old FEZ Cobra 1.3.

The connection with the bootloader is OK but at the step to upload the bootloader v2, I’m blocked as I’m not able to find the .ghi file. Any idea where I could find it ?

Thank you in advance.

Finally, found with direct URL: https://ghistorage.blob.core.windows.net/downloads/Bootloaders/EMX%20Bootloader%20v2.0.4.ghi