USBClientController.StandardDevices.StartCDC() Exception

We use a FEZ Domino with a program that was built for FEZ Panda II. For configuration there is a litte Windows program that communicate over USB with the device. Here we use StartCDC_WithDebugging() on COM2 and with FEZ Panda it works. But with FEZ Domino the program runs but no COM port will be installed when we plug the device.

In an other thread leforban respond “You can’t use CDC AND debug over USB since firmware V4.2. If you use CDC you need to force the debug interface being COM1. This is usually done using a button or a jumper.”

Thats why I try to use StartCDC() without debugging but then I get an exception:

Exception System.InvalidOperationException - CLR_E_INVALID_OPERATION (1)

#### Message: 
#### GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBClient.USBClientController::Init [IP: 0000] ####
#### GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBClient.USBClientController::Start [IP: 0104] ####
#### GHIElectronics.NETMF.USBClient.USBClientController+StandardDevices::StartCDC [IP: 0029] ####
#### EasyLog.Program::Main [IP: 01f8] ####

Could it be a Problem with COM2? We can’t find any documents of FEZ Domino that shows something about the COM-ports. We can’t use COM1 because this is used for communication with GPRS.

@ User_8034 -

Are you talking about the name of com port (COM2) which shown on PC under device manager?

Anyway, if you are using 4.1, under each device in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\USBizi

you will see there is a document.

No I mean the COM2 of the FEZ Domino. My Problem is that I can’t see a COM-Port on PC.
This document I know but there is no document to find for the pinout of the FEZ Domino.
Do you know which COM-Port is used for the CDC-Interface? On FEZ Panda it is COM2 but I don’t know if it is also for FEZ Domino. Maybe it is the reason why no COM-port is shown on PC.

@ User_8034 -

There are 2 documents and I can see both have PinOut.

In User manual.pdf there is a section Pin-Out Description
In Broch_pinOut.pdf it is more detail.

The strange thing is, the document says serial debug is COM1 but you got it works on COM2.

I need COM1 for communication with GPRS shield. I have to see if it works with an other COM port.
Meanwhile I wrote a litte test program where COM1 not used. when I start it now the PC wants to install serial driver for USBizi and CDC VCom. It look great!
But my Problem is that the PC can’t find any driver.
On by HDD I have USB driver under
GHI Electronics\GHI USB Drivers\ and
GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\USB Drivers\
but they don’t work.

Where can I get the right driver for Win 7?

@ User_8034 -

https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/src/CDC_Driver.zip

@ User_8034 -

Usually only 1 COM port is used for serial debug. If COM1 is right one, COM2 won’t work. also, if COM2 work, COM1 won’t, unless I am missing something.

o.k. thank you. The CDC driver now works.
But I remains the USBizi (picture). Do you here also have the right driver?

That driver should be under USB Driver folder. But I see your PC has not English language. I remember somewhere has same problem with these PC setting.

Is I wrote in #1 with the drivers in
GHI Electronics\GHI USB Drivers\ and
GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\USB Drivers\
it dosn’t work

right now I understand why you’re chasing ghosts on COMx ports. This is a case where multiple threads doesn’t help…

I tried to update the driver manually. I loaded the driver in GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\USB Drivers\ and get the message: A driver for this device is found but during Installation an error occurs".

Hello Andre,
there is no other message. I looked at the Windows protocols and could not see any entry.