USB Mountaineer: DfuSe Demo has stopped working

[quote]David@ Emrol
Should be in the GHI program file folder something like:
C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\USB Drivers\GHI_NETMF_WinUsb
[/quote]

After a clean install of the “GHI Software Package v4.2”, the path “C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\USB Drivers\GHI_NETMF_WinUsb” does contain USB folder with signed drivers but none of the “GHI_NETMF_WinUsb” drivers apparently work with the moutaineer.

[quote]LouisCpro:
WINUSB is directly provided by the Windows OS (Vista and newer). If you installed the 4.2 QFE2 Firmware on the board, it should be recognized as is.
[/quote]

It would be so beautiful and ellegant if this were true but alas Windows does not automatically recognize and install USB drivers for the QFE2 MoutaineerUSB Board. I believe, that Windows is not expected to “should be recognized as is”; this is why the Moutaineer Group provided the unsigned “Mountaineer_WinUSB_Driver” inside the Mountaineer_USB_PK42_QFE2 Firmware upgrade package.

[quote]LouisCpro: Have a look on chapter 6 and 7 of the guide : http://www.mountaineer.org/app/download/6122023375/Mountaineer+Firmware+and+USB+Driver+Installation+Guide+for+NETMF+4.2+QFE2+V20120921.pdf?t=1348243282
It explains 2 important things : > Windows is a silly monkey that tell you it installed the Mountaineer USB Driver, but sometimes does not ! > You must re-install the NETMF SDK 4.2 QFE2 after the Firmware and Driver installation in order to make MFDeploy goes right !
[/quote]

LouisCpro,
Reinstalling NETMF SDK 4.2 QFE2 and reinstalling drivers does not appear to help. MFDeploy is still not happy.

[quote]Cuno:
@ wbaldwin
After a RESET, the mainboard enters a boot loader (TinyBooter), from there starts the common-language-runtime, which in turn interprets the application.
You can make the board stop in the boot loader and check whether MFDeploy then recognizes the board (visible at the USB list box, and then by its response to a Ping - click on the “Ping” button in MFDeploy). To stop in the boot loader, please hold down the SW button while pressing the RESET button on the mainboard. Now the blue LED should be blinking, and MFDeploy should be able to “see” the board. Otherwise something may be wrong with the boot loader or the hardware.
If MFDeploy now sees the board, erase the application (“Erase” button, “Deployment” check box). There may be a defective application in the Flash that crashes the system right after it starts.
Best regards[/quote]

Cuno,
Stopping the TinyBooter does not appear to help i.e. in that mode the MFDeploy still does not list the board in the USB list box.

[title]WHERE IT STANDS RIGHT NOW: [/title]

b Mountaineer USB Drivers:[/b] I am using the unsigned Mountaineer_WinUSB_Driver provided in the Mountaineer QFE2 upgrade package as I cannot find signed drivers and because these are the correct drivers as listed in the “Mountaineer+Firmware+and+USB+Driver+Installation+Guide+for+NETMF+4.2+QFE2” documentation.

b Device Manager:[/b] In device manager the drivers appear normal, healthy but are unsigned.

b Visual Studio:[/b] In Visual Studio .NET MF the Mountaineer is listed as the target so at least VS seems to find it.

b MFDeploy:[/b] MF Deploy tool does not detect the Mountaineer at all.

This is extremely strange. Both MFDeploy and Visual Studio use the same DLLs, they are merely different user interfaces for the same functionality. I have no idea why they should behave differently.

[quote]This is extremely strange. Both MFDeploy and Visual Studio use the same DLLs, they are merely different user interfaces for the same functionality. I have no idea why they should behave differently.
[/quote]

Yes exactly, and I have the exact same behavior on two different computers running two different operating systems so at least it is consistent (Win7@ home/Win8@ work). Perhaps the problem is rooted in my frustrations with applying the QFE2 Firmware (documented in this thread).

So the MountaineerUSB isn’t listed in MFDeploy but is listed in VS perhaps I should just push on.

I will reply here on the result of a simple code test.

@ wbaldwin -

Question like this…Do you use USB 2 o USB3 ???

What is strange is that in my case, I use a signed driver from Microsoft without any problem…(remember my hardcopies…), so Can’t imagine it was a miracle of the nature for me to succeed in …

I finally got a handle on this. After banging my head on my desk a few times, I discovered that I had both V4.2 and v4.1 MFDeploy.exe tools installed and I was starting the wrong version up. Its always the simple things that trip me up AND make me look bad.

[title]WHERE IT STANDS RIGHT NOW: [/title]

(1) Mountaineer USB Drivers: I am using the unsigned Mountaineer_WinUSB_Driver provided in the Mountaineer QFE2 upgrade package as I cannot find signed drivers and because these are the correct drivers as listed in the “Mountaineer+Firmware+and+USB+Driver+Installation+Guide+for+NETMF+4.2+QFE2” documentation.

(2) Device Manager: In device manager the drivers appear normal, healthy but are unsigned.

(3) Visual Studio: In Visual Studio .NET MF the Mountaineer is listed as the target so at least VS seems to find it.

(4) MFDeploy: MF Deploy 4.2 tool does detect the Mountaineer! Yea!