USB DEPLOY My thoughts. Your free to disagree wit me!

GHI .NET Micro Framework USB Debugging Interface
Device manager:
Debuggable .Net Micro Framework Device
GHI .NET Micro Framework USB Debugging Interface
My thoughts only. Yours may differ. That is OK by me… I welcome comments.

The comments here are based on my findings using MY PC and Visual Studio Express 2010.
Running Windows 7 - 64 Bit
I have had issues with Deploy/Debug with my Fez.Spider for some time. I also have the same with my new G400HDR/G400-D Especially when using my CP7 Display.
I have experimented a bit and found the following:
Root cause (at least for me) was using a 12 VDC Power Supply to power my USB Client DP.
Using a powered USB HUB gave many problems. The tiny power supply they have are useless!
I cannot connect directly to a USB port on my computer. Very unreliable. (With a Cp7 attached to the main board it is impossible.) I have several other USB devices already attached to my computer.
I need to use a auxiliary USB HUB but NOT powered by its power supply. Powering the USB Client DP and the USB HUB will NOT work. I have had more than one BSD if I forgot and powered both. Immediate crash dump, black screen and next power on a forced System Repair that takes forever and never fixes anything. Last time it happened I had to use my backup Image of my PC to recover. Good thing I had the image and a file backup that ran the same morning it happened.
In my experiments I used a Lab power supply that I have had since forever. Works like a charm…

I have found that at 12 VDC input to the USB Client DP I can usually (but not always) receive the GHI .NET Micro Framework USB Debugging Interface in the Device manager. I also found that even though the interface shows and does not go away that many times I CANNOT deploy/debug from VS 2010.

I increased the DC Voltage going to the USB Client DP one volt at a time and after many, many deploy attempts, at approximately 17 VDC (With a T35 Display) I could always deploy/debug.

With the T35 display current reading at the Power supply was 0.11 Amp (This is a digital display on the power supply). Using a CP7 the current reading at the power supply doubled! Using 18 VDC and a CP7 the current reading was 0.20 Amps. (The power supply has an adjustable current but I did not try that.)

Note that this does not account for any voltage drop across the wiring to the USB Client DP.

The USB Client DP run pretty hot but it works…

wit me! ???

It sounds like you need a better USB hub. I’d be curious to see what your results are if you used a Power Extender module between your mainboard and CP7.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/441