Updating modules is tedious and I can't get a G400-D to update

I have just spent the last hour trying to update a G400-D module. It updates OK and I can see the new version is present but after I config the LCD and reboot, there is no TinyCLR present on the device. I’ve tried 5 times without success.

Loader (TinyBooter) version information: 
 4.3.7.7 on this computer.
 4.3.7.7 on this device.
 >>> The Loader (TinyBooter) is up to date. <<<

Firmware (TinyCLR) version information: 
 4.3.7.9 on this computer.
 Firmware (TinyCLR) Version:  Not present on the device.
 The device is in Loader mode.
 Click on 'Reboot CLR' under the Advanced menu to reboot the device.

You then reboot and it shows up. Fine but I still don’t have any LCD display present.

Well, I finally tracked this down to a wiring issue on the G400HDR board.

The LCDEN according to the schematic for the G400HDR show that this is on PC29. It should be PD1 and can be found on JP1-13. My custom board used PD1 as the LCDEN and this is according to the G400-D datasheet.

The second issue is that the LCDEN on the socket for X3 (B) is linked via R3 to PC24 and again does not work for the Gadgeteer LCD7 display i designed as it requires LCDEN to be active.

The fix is to un-solder R3 from the board and solder a link wire from the pad that connects to X3 and link to JP1-13 and now the LCD will work.

What a waste of 2 hours :frowning:

Jeez. You cant expect -every- pin to be where the documents say it should be.
Where’s the fun in that?

Their just testing us ya?

I have a suspicion that Gary may put these in to test us after all the heckling he has had for his picture posting capabilities. :whistle:

PS… Glad my custom board works and I didn’t get that wrong. Nothing worse than trying to solder links onto those 0.5mm pitch connectors :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK. This turns out to be a miss match with the old and new documents. On the old REV 1.2 HDR and documents for the G400 upon which I developed the custom board, PD1 was the reference for the LCDEN but in fact, it was changes to PC29 and this was on pin 146 of the 200 pin header.

On the old HDR 1.2 board, this is not wired correctly. My changes are required for old REV 1.2 board but newer boards should be OK and I am sure Aron will chip in here and confirm this?

@ Dave McLaughlin - Sorry for the late reply. Yes, this is correct. The current version of the G400-D module is correct and corresponds to all the current documentation. A change was made from the G400-D 1.2 to the 1.3 version. We swapped the pins for PD1 and PC29 respectively. On the 1.2 version, PC29 is on pin 166.

Version 1.2 was a pre-production release as a preview to those who had received it. Version 1.3 is the only public production release.

ADDED: The G400HDR schematic has be updated with the latest version that has all of the proper pin connections.

1 Like