Update TinyBooter on Raptor without breakout board

Hello,

I am just starting with my first Gadgeteering project, and purchased a Raptor and several modules to start experimenting. Unfortunately, I didn’t get either an extender or breadboard, and it seems I need to update the tinyBooter.

Loader (TinyBooter) version information:
4.2.11.1 on this computer.
4.2.11.0 on this device.

The Loader (TinyBooter) not up to date. <<<

So I’m hoping for advice on shorting pin 8 and 10 on socket 3 without an extender or breadboard. It seems I could use a small piece of solid copper wire and carefully do it? One question, do they need to remain shorted throughout the entire process, or just while the device boots after hitting the reset button? Is there any way to confirm that you successfully entered ‘loader mode’?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have a few days off right now and am anxious to start and don’t want to wait to get a part delivered.

Thanks!
Danny

The need to be shorted just for a short while during bootup.
As soon as it sees the shorted pin after power on or reset, it starts in bootloader mode.
I have a push button to do so, and I push it for another 2 or sec after reset.
If you hear the ‘new USB device’ soon on your computer, you can remove the shortcut.
In fact I think it must be removed before the device reboots after bootloader has been updated.

Excellent.

Turns out I do have a Breakout TB10 module, which seems like it would be useful for this.
https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/212/breakout-tb10-module

I’m a little confused thought, the terminals many are labeled ‘PN’, and I see P8, does ‘GND’ map to P10?

Thanks!
Danny

Yes, GND is P10

OK, got PIN 8 and 10 shorted with a wire using the TB10, followed the instructions, and am getting this error in the log file:

-I- DATAFLASH::Init 0 (trace level : 4)
-I- Loading applet applet-dataflash-sam9g15.bin at address 0x20000000
-E- Script File G400TinyBooter.tcl returned error : Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can’t detect known device) - Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can’t detect known device)
while executing
"error “Error Initializing DataFlash Applet ($dummy_err)”"
(procedure “DATAFLASH::Init” line 14)
invoked from within
"DATAFLASH::Init 0"
(file “G400TinyBooter.tcl” line 19)
invoked from within
"source $scriptFile"

Is my board defective?

Did you also post earlier about this?

Anyway, you need to run the command prompt as an administrator. I suggest the best way to do that is to open CMD separately, as an admin, and then change directory to the location of the GHI supplied batch file. In case you’re not a DOS prompt fan, you can follow these steps:

CD \
CD PROGRA
repeat TAB key until Program Files (x86) is shown, assuming you’re on an x64 machine

cd GHI
cd GHI <tab, repeat until Premium directory is listed>
cd g400\firmware\tinybooter
programg400 com3

Good luck !