Unwanted Information Display

I used to be able to hide the build date/etc on start-up. Which I miss being able to do, but have gotten used to seeing it (still would like to be able to hide it again, though).

The Link Update however, is incredibly irritating. Is there no way to hide this message taking up a 1/3 of my screen while I’m trying to display diagnostic start up information?

1 Like

“Link Update?”

For example Hydra with Ethernet firmware.

When you turn it on it’ll display “Link Update” online/offline IP address etc. And that can happen several seconds after boot at which point I’m already trying to display data on the screen, which is now overwritten by that data

We will look into it.

Are you experiencing this “Link Update” on only the Hydra or on other systems also. If so, what other systems and can you give an example of when the “Link Update” shows up? We are still looking into this issue but the answer to these questions may help us track down the problem.

I second to the request to be able to hide at least the build date at startup.

(I didn’t run into Link Update issue, can’t complain on that YET).

Premium devices still have the ability to suppress startup messages. GHI.Premium.Hardware.Configuration.LCD.EnableLCDBootupMessages(bool) is the method you are looking for, in GHI.Premium.Hardware.dll.

Is the soft/firmware for OpenSourceHardWare closed source?

Premium is closed source OSHW is open.

On the OSHW firmwares, it should be fairly simple to disable the bootup messages (or even provide a flag like the premium devices do) and compile the firmware yourself.

Historically, GHI has not been eager to accept and integrate patches to their OSHW firmwares that result in a diminished functionality delta between OSHW and premium devices. Can’t say I really blame them, but it’s not really in the spirit of OSHW, in my opinion.

Hydra is not a premium device, so that’s not entirely helpful.

[quote=“godefroi”]On the OSHW firmwares, it should be fairly simple to disable the bootup messages (or even provide a flag like the premium devices do) and compile the firmware yourself.

Historically, GHI has not been eager to accept and integrate patches to their OSHW firmwares that result in a diminished functionality delta between OSHW and premium devices. Can’t say I really blame them, but it’s not really in the spirit of OSHW, in my opinion.[/quote]

Yeah, and that’s a bit sad. Spider isn’t fast enough for any commercial use I’d put it to, G120 still has some quirks, G400 is still in beta and has lots of quirks. Hydra is the only device that’s currently rock solid (thanks to the last update) which leaves me having to muck around in the firmware just to suppress a “Link Up/Down” message.

I’m not even talking about the build info. Just removing completely useless info from the screen.

@ Skewworks, as Aron asked, are you experiencing the Link Update information on the Hydra or other devices as well?

Hydra’s the only one I’ve seen do it, but it’s also the only one that can makes use of the ENC28 right now. My CobraII has it’s WiFi and the G400s (I have D & Raptor) don’t want to work with it.

We can reproduce it, we will let you know once we have something more.

The link update display is fixed in the coming SDK.

Excellent