Unabel To Locate Driver

Hi
Just received FEZ Domino board, have downloaded and installed visual studio 2008, and sdk. When I plug in USB to connect board I am asked for a driver and cannot locate it. Must have done something wrong somewhere. Any Ideas?

Looking at the software I have downloaded either I have missed something or I have not gone about it in the right order.

Can anybody just let me have a step by step order in which to get the PC end going?

The video’s and tutorial section’s have more options in them then what I have downloaded.

I am using a laptop with Vista installed.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian2,

normally the videos are very detailed and it should run smoothly when you do it step-by-step.

Here you can find the USB drivers(normal installation)
C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.0 SDK\USB Drivers

Is your operating system 32bit or 64bit?

And you can find the firmware at:

Not that the firmware for USBIzi is the same as the FEZ Domino.

If you do not know how to update your firmware, here is a video for you:

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, I got the FEZ working for a while there… I didnt load the software in the correct order which caused the confusion so I uninstalled and re installed. Now working…

My problem now is that I looked at the firmware on the FEZ and it is different to the SDK. I went through the steps to upload new firmware and I now have a board that previously “pinged” and could upload new software etc to one that will now not connect. The message received on Tera Term was “Bad Firmware”. In the readme file “The processor chipset used on FEZ Mini and FEZ Domino is USBizi chipset. Please use the firmware file “…/USBizi/Firmware/USBizi_CLR.GHI” to update the firmware on your FEZ Domino or FEZ Mini.” This is the only difference between video and what I did, there is no firmware in the video location anyway.

So no ping and no connection via tera term…

Any Ideas

Hi again

Had to do a full restart of PC and have now got it working?

When the PC restarted and I connected the FEZ pcb I did not have to press the loader button. Carried out the update of the firmware as before and it worked?

Should I be concerned about this or is it normal. I want to replace an older legacy system with these or a similar PCB. At first look they are a nice little unit but I am now slightly concerned about reliability.

Once again thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

All the best

Brian :slight_smile:

Brian, I reckon they’re reliable. Honestly I can’t follow what you’ve done based on what you’ve written here. I’d be comfortable saying it’s not a Fez issue more just the sequence you did stuff, and you will only very infrequently have to do firmware updates and then it’s much simpler because you know it worked.

I reckon that too.

H[quote]onestly I can’t follow what you’ve done based on what you’ve written here. I’d be comfortable saying it’s not a Fez issue more just the sequence you did stuff, and you will only very infrequently have to do firmware updates and then it’s much simpler because you know it worked.[/quote]

I can’t follow it either to be honest. It’s hard to say what went wrong at this point.

Thanks for the input guys

Just loaded all the software on my office PC and it worked first time!

Amazing what happens if you read the manual…it must be me thing…

Have now got to get my head around the C# syntax now.

My first project is to make a serial data logger, take in about 1K of information and store it on a thumb drive as an appended file each time the data appears at the serial port.

Once again your feedback is much appreciated.

Brian

Maybe all your problems are related to not having a reliable power source. Maybe you need a “powered” USB hub. Did you try to power the FEZ using a power pack instead of relying on the USB power?

Also, everything you need is detailed in videos and in tutorial and then explained again in the book. All you have to do is take the tutorial and go through it step-by-step. I know most users are excited to use FEZ the first time and they tend to skip some pages :wink: