Trustworthy Electronics Suppliers?

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice here. I’m trying to re-stock some of my supplies for my IR LED Array Gadgeteer module, and I’ve discovered that one of the key components, the IR LED, is out of stock at both of my go-to suppliers, Mouser and DigiKey.

I did a quick Bing search, and the parts appear to be available from a couple of sellers on AliExpress.com, but I’ve heard mixed things about buying there.

Are there any other suppliers I should try before taking a chance on Aliexpress?

The part I need is the Everlight IR333-A, 940nm TH IR LED. 20deg beam angle, 20mw radiant output.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I used to buy components from http://www.krp.com/. They were/are a family store on Long Island.

Thanks, Mike. I sent them an email.

In the meantime, if anyone has other suggestions, I’d welcome them. I’m flat out of IR LEDs after the last two module orders, so I’m dead in the water until I can get the parts. :frowning:

element14? Edit: you can’t find the same brand but there are Vishay ones that will probably suit

eBay? I’ve got a couple bags that I bought for the birthday badges. I have no idea how they compare to the one you used before but at the few bucks they cost, its worth it to buy some and try out. If they aren’t as good then you can use them for a future throw-away type project.

Found some Vishay TSAL6400 IR LEDs on eBay, ordered 10 (found a seller offering free shipping, which made it cheaper than going with Mouser and paying shipping on such a small quantity). Should get them on Monday, assuming all is on the up and up.

Looks like the TSAL6400s have a higher radiant intensity than what I’ve been using, so may even get a little more range out of them. The downside is that they’re a little more expensive, but thankfully not prohibitively so, particularly in larger quantities.

Thanks Brett and Ian for the suggestions!

Following up…received the Vishay TSAL6400 IR LEDs today. Prompt shipping and good price, given the free shipping.

From my somewhat unscientific testing (hooking up my IR helicopter rig, and walking as far away as possible inside my house), it looks like the Vishay IR LEDs give a slight improvement to range. I’m sure it’s irrelevant at the IR spectrum, but the lens on these is significantly darker than the previous model I was using, which worried me, but clearly that was an unfounded fear.

Forward current is the same, but the forward voltage is slightly higher on the Vishay (1.35V vs. 1.2V)…is this something I should worry about, in terms of running 3 of these in series off an X or Y pin? There’s a 330ohm resistor between the pin and the LEDs.

I want to make sure I’m not going to be stressing the micro by swapping out this part.

[quote=“devhammer”]
Forward current is the same, but the forward voltage is slightly higher on the Vishay (1.35V vs. 1.2V)…is this something I should worry about, in terms of running 3 of these in series off an X or Y pin? There’s a 330ohm resistor between the pin and the LEDs.[/quote]

This probably explains why you’re seeing better range. Because you’re using a resistor calculator for 1.2V you are now getting more current to the LED.

Not a problem for the micro. The stress will be on your LED but I wouldn’t worry about it. It only pulses. It sounds like you made an improvement :wink:

@ ianlee74 - Improved range may be because (or also because) the replacement IR LED has a higher radiant intensity.

Either way, good to have another option for the part, since the Everlight part isn’t available.