Troubles with EMX updater on one board

Hello Everyone

I recently have a problem with one of our EMX board. I decided to erase and reinstall tinybooter and firmware to have an “out of the box” board, without success.

I have tried to reinstall with Teraterm and MF Deploy without results.

Here is the log information from the EMX updater.

[quote]Connecting to device…
EMX found at Port#: COM44
GHI Bootloader Version: 1.01

Device will be updated automatically! DO NOT disconnect or turn off the device!
Erasing…
Erase successful!
Updating TinyBooter. Please wait…
Update successful!
Disconnecting COM44
Rebooting…
TinyBooter updated sucessfully. Version number: 4.1.6.0
Updating Firmware. Please wait…
Deploying C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\CLR.HEX … successful!
Deploying C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\CLR2.HEX … successful!
Deploying C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\Config.HEX … successful!
Rebooting…
Updating TinyBooter and Firmware is done! [/quote]

All seems to be OK but instead of having a GHI .NET MicroFramework USB Debugging Interface, I still have the GHI bootloader Interface (com port). Therefore, I can not deploy the application.

I don’t really know how to solve this… As usual any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Regards

What is the state of LMODE pin?

LMOD is pulldown with a 2.2K resistor to ground as found on COBRA schematic.

Without power supply the resistor is 2.2K but when I plug the board, the resistor is 1.25M. Is it normal?

I guess, because it’s an input pin and it has high impedance.

Ok so the problem is not solved

The board is a custom one composed of an EMX module and some peripherals. Here’s what I succeed to do:

Pressing reset, select, up and down then releasing the select, up, down and reset buttons exhibits a new port com refered as GHI BootLoader Interface (in my case COM44)

I can then Run the EMX updater.

Clicking on update shows in log information textbox:

clicking on OK to confirm updating:

During deployment, the board is recognized as a “Debuggable .Net MicroFramework Device”.

At the end of the process I don’t see any “Debuggable .Net MicroFramework Device” and a pop up from Vista show unknown peripherals

The fact that the updating process starts properly let me think that the board is not out of order. However, I can’t use it, due to the lack of debugging interface after updating process.

I still have: GHI BootLoader Interface (COM44)

The LMOD pin is pull down with a 2.2K resistor. I have try to shortcut the resistor but this gives no better results.

How to know if LMOD pin is out of order?

Try debugging via the serial port (COM1 on EMX).

Unfortunately COM1 is connected to a FTDI chip that has been badly routed :-[ :-[

I’m afraid this board is definitely dead…

Have you tried using it on a different PC? Maybe it’s a driver problem.

Not yet, I’m using an other EMX based board on the same computer without problem. But you right this can be done to test a misconfiguration of the computer. I will check that and will let you know ASAP.

Ok the test has been done on an other computer and the board is still seen through the COM port.

Try this

Tried, but no results. I still can’t deploy over USB.

No more EMX SoM in our stock before receiving the next ones, I need to repair this one in order to go on developping applications.

I restarted the process of updating the board with the EMX updater.

Pressing up/down/select and reset allow me to update the board.

The process seems OK to me:

[quote]EMX found at Port#: COM61
GHI Bootloader Version: 1.01

Device will be updated automatically! DO NOT disconnect or turn off the device!
Erasing…
Erase successful!
Updating TinyBooter. Please wait…
Update successful!
Disconnecting COM61
Rebooting…
TinyBooter updated sucessfully. Version number: 4.1.6.0
Updating Firmware. Please wait…
Deploying C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\CLR.HEX … successful!
Deploying C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\CLR2.HEX … successful!
Deploying C:\Program Files\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\Config.HEX … successful!
Rebooting…
Updating TinyBooter and Firmware is done! [/quote]

After restarting ,Vista says that there’s an unknown USB peripheral.

If you haven’t already, if you get USB unknown error then it’s worth unplugging/reconnecting multiple times so the device driver gets multiple chances to catch the ID and load.

Sounds like a problem in pc not emx.

Hi Gus, hi Brett

I finally succeed to have a correct connection with the PC. However VIsual Studio did not deploy on this board. It generate the code properly but seems not to be able to reset the board. This seems strange because EMX updater does not return any problem, it says that Updating is done successfully. I don’t know what to do…