Toner Transfer PCB

Sigh. So tonight I finally etched a PCB in which the artwork was not hand drawn.

Technically it’s not a circuit pattern but an art drawing of Emma Watson but the process will be identical.

I just wanted to put this info somewhere on the internet so that some poor electronics person will find it. Someday I may make a tutorial.

There are 2 tricks: Clean the PCB and Elmer’s White glue.

My equipment: HP LaserJet P1102W and Swingline GBC 3100L (both brand new and with no modifications, purchased solely for PCB making)

The transfer works by coating the white glue on regular paper with a squeegee and letting it dry. This made a very thin coat. Then I run the paper through the laminator to “iron it flat”. Then print on the highest quality setting, cut out, and pass through the laminator 3 times (or more if necessary).

Regular copy paper comes out with pinholes. I suspected the problem was the texture of the paper not the printer or toner. I repeated the attempt with Photo Paper ([url]http://www.keymediaproducts.com/web/en/productos?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=80&category_id=74[/url], expensive stuff), and got very few pinholes, which appeared to be because that PCB went through ALOT of trials and errors

The regular paper came off in one piece but the photo paper had to be manually disintegrated (it says water proof on the bag and they are not kidding).

The laminator was set to 7mil which moves it through at the slowest speed. I flipped the board over for the 3rd pass just to ensure the board was even. The paper fused to the board on the first pass though.

I’ll try with regular glossy paper some time in the future.

I etched with HCI + H2O2 plus a sponge to apply it. It was like wiping the copper off the board. NB: Do that outside; the fumes are pungent.

The results are as you see in the photos.

4 Likes

Nice work. I used to make my own boards but the process is messy and that echant eats through almost everything and you have to dispose of it safely.

With the cost of professional PCB’s being so low these days and the fact you get soldermask and plated through holes, home made PCB’s are not worth all the hassle.

Unless of course you only need single sided and doing higher pitch SMD and through hole, then it might be worth it.

I have stopped disposing of enchant now since the echant can be revived by adding H2O2 or recycled in plating through hole vias.

I plan on giving the laminated soldermask on ebay a go round; if it works then I’ll have at home double sided, plated vias with soldermask pcbs.

I’m trying my hand at writing an instructable for this method
[url]http://www.instructables.com/id/White-Glue-Release-Agent-for-PCB-Toner-Transfer-Me/[/url]

Never done one before; always wanted to :slight_smile:

Hi guys…for a simpler no mess method.
Use baking parchment stuck to regular paper with a strip of blue tape at the top.
Wipe down the parchment with 90%+ isopropanol B4 printing. I use an HP1102W as well.
prep the copper clad with 400 grit sandpaper…ensuring that its clean after with alcohol wipedown - use Bounty to do it.

Then laminate!

For one pass lamination with the Apache AL13P laminator , check out my multi feature plug N play mod that permits complete Single pass lamination @ 300F among other things.

http://www.clubjameco.com/index.php/projects/project_brief/24/21353/laminator_mod-_pcb_toner_transfer_from_parchment

Search ‘laminator mod’ at Clubjameco for the project!

@ ReVolt - Welcome to the forum revolt.