TinyCLR OS Ninth Release: Networking, IO, SPI display

Today we are excited to release the ninth preview of our TinyCLR OS. This release adds a number of new features such as initial SPI display support and IO, networking, and HTTP libraries along with a number of smaller useful APIs. We’ve also worked to reduce the frequency of crashing during deployment and greatly improved the performance of the SPWF04Sx and how it handles low memory situations.

Also in this release we throw an exception whenever the .constrained IL prefix is encountered. If you run into a not supported instruction exception in this release, please send us your program so we can identify common cases that are affected. Be sure to see the release notes for more details and for information on a case we’ve already found ourselves.

As before, you can find all downloads in their respective sections on the downloads page. Just download the new installers and NuGet packages to get going. You don’t even need to download the firmwares since you can use the update firmware feature in TinyCLR Config to automatically download them for you. There are no new bootloaders in this release.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the roadmap for details on the approaching 1.0 release.

TinyCLR OS Downloads: http://docs.ghielectronics.com/tinyclr/downloads.html
TinyCLR OS Release Notes: http://docs.ghielectronics.com/tinyclr/release_notes.html

7 Likes

Oh waw Ethernet?
But it is for which kind of interface?

This release just adds the managed libraries, you still need to provide your own interface. We do provide an implementation for the SPWF04Sx wifi however.

Ok… Thank you.
In the roadmap are you going to implement enc28 or embedded eth?

After 1.0 we will be investigating additional and improved networking options.

3 Likes

John,
As a video systems engineer, almost 100 percent of our gear is IP enabled at various levels. I’ve purchased a couple of Arduino boards, and about a year ago I bought a Panda II to tinker with. While I program, I’m not a low level programmer, just looking for a platform for some networked based control devices.
It has been interesting in exploring NETMF and now your endeavors with TinyCLR that Ethernet support is lagging so badly.
If you have a moment, can you shed some light on what’s involved in getting Ethernet up and running and stable in an environment like this? Doing actual work on a wired network would be cool… but seems out of reach.

Thanks,
Todd

For video systems, you need something very powerful, like Linux. What are you trying to accomplish?

Gus,

Thanks for the response…

No, not looking to handle video… just looking to establish a TCP session and send control commands - some are simple text strings. Others use hex, and still others GPI I/O or logic I/O.
But unless I’ve missed something obvious, getting wired ethernet up and running (and stable) is a challenge.

One project would be to just open a session with an address:port - receive the ACK… and then send text strings with line feeds to trigger various events via button presses. Not really complex at all, but the Ethernet connection must be stable and I haven’t found that to be the case.

I could be wrong - if so please educate me - but this seems out of reach with the current state of things - certainly with NETMF - and from what I’m reading, the TinyCLR. I bought the Panda III a year ago - I immediately got slammed at work and am finally getting around to picking it back up. Reading through the forums seems to indicate the WiFi is much further along than the wired Ethernet. ( as a side note, we tend to avoid wireless in our industry for a variety of reasons… )

Any help appreciated,
Have a great day.

You can definitely use NETMF and mostly also use TinyCLR. Do you need SSL?

Gus,
That’s good to hear… as to SSL, not at this point…

I recall that the NETMF IP stacks were wobbly - but I don’t remember any specifics… it was a while ago.

Let me do some reading and catching up - it’s been a year since I dug into this project. I started out on Arduino - then went to NetDuino - that was about the time that Secret Labs had blown up… Oy!.. and I was looking for a more stable development environment - simply because I don’t have the low level chops or the time to spend - I can get around in Visual Studio ok…

So I’ll update the IDEs etc and see how things go…

Thanks for your time.
Todd

Can you start with WiFi?

Sure, could start there. Looking at the docs, I might.

One of the design goals, however, would be PoE to eliminate a wall wart… and we are often in unfriendly RF environs…

If you need something commercial and serious then the UC2550 is perfect but if you want a duino friendly board then you need to stay tuned for the next announcement. I suggest you start experimenting with TinyCLR on your Panda meanwhile.

Copy that… I’ll take a look
Thanks,
Todd