Thermocouple (No Libraries?)

I bought the Thermocouple module a couple months ago… now it’s discountinued. I feel like I got robbed, NOT because it’s dicountinued (although that is another issue with GHI).
There are no supporting documentation or libraries… SERIOUSLY???
VStudio has no built-in assemblies as they do other modules.
I’m REALLY confused as to why GHI would sell me this module which is a complete waste unless I want to go build my own drivers, libraries, etc.

are you asking for an explanation of why you are confused or are you asking for help getting a driver for the thermocouple module?

1 Like

@ jeffnuck - I am certain there are many here in the same or similar boat. Fortunately this is a very strong and supportive community and I am confident that you will not have a shortage of help and support, be that with writing your own driver, or porting an earlier version of the driver to the new 4.3 framework.

There is a separate sdk that includes all discontinued modules.you can use that our simply use the 4.2 sdk. Both options are very easy. You can also get the source code if you want and do whatever you wish with it.

Sorry about any confusion.

I currently have installed 4.2 SDK and running 4.2 on the spider.
I do not see any reference to the Thermocouple, so I will look for the discontinued SDK. If there are any code samples for this, it would be a huge help.

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.Controls;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.Media;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.Shapes;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Touch;

using Gadgeteer.Networking;
using GT = Gadgeteer;
using GTM = Gadgeteer.Modules;
using Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics;

namespace Thermo
{
    public partial class Program
    {
        // This method is run when the mainboard is powered up or reset.   
        void ProgramStarted()
        {
            /*******************************************************************************************
            Modules added in the Program.gadgeteer designer view are used by typing 
            their name followed by a period, e.g.  button.  or  camera.

Many modules generate useful events. Type +=<tab><tab> to add a handler to an event, e.g.:
                button.ButtonPressed +=<tab><tab>

If you want to do something periodically, use a GT.Timer and handle its Tick event, e.g.:
                GT.Timer timer = new GT.Timer(1000); // every second (1000ms)
                timer.Tick +=<tab><tab>
                timer.Start();
            *******************************************************************************************/

// Use Debug.Print to show messages in Visual Studio's "Output" window during debugging.
            Debug.Print("Program Started");
            GT.Timer measure = new GT.Timer(1000);
            measure.Tick += measure_Tick;
            measure.Start();
        }

void measure_Tick(GT.Timer timer)
        {
            int c;
            int f;
            byte i;

thermocouple.Scale = Thermocouple.TemperatureScale.Celsius;
            c = thermocouple.GetExternalTemperature();
            thermocouple.Scale = Thermocouple.TemperatureScale.Fahrenheit;
            f = thermocouple.GetInternalTemperature();

Debug.Print("C: " + c);
            Debug.Print("F: " + f);
        }
    }
}

I also picked up one of these modules a little while ago but haven’t really had chance to play with it. This is a very simple snippet that I initially tried just to test it.

@ jeffnuck - This may help - In the visual designer, if you select a module and then press F1, you’ll get the module’s Class description