The SPAM Blockers

@ mcalsyn - maybe replying to their post unblocks them.

@ Gus - I think that works well. 3 spam strikes and they’re out no matter what. One reply to their thread and the limit is lifted.

Leaves the question of what to do if their first act is to reply to a thread though instead of starting a new one.

(Martin’s Law: Technical solutions to social problems are always inherently flawed)

2 Likes

I think the rules need to be such that you don’t block those first time users who need help getting from nothing to blinky LED or need help updating firmware for the first time, and you don’t want that to have to wait for 12 hours. Rate limiting new posters seems a good way to start that, rather than one post for a full 12 or 24 hours, what about 1 (new) topic per hour, unlimited replies on that thread, and 3 new replies per hour on other threads. If anyone marks a post as spam, the rate gets reduced everywhere.

1 Like

@ All - RU sure this is the right place to discuss the matter ?

I suggest to move or continue this to f.e. an insider forum where no prying eyes are reading too and can get fancy ideas based upon the public discussion of this …

Nah - this is another of those cases where security through obscurity isn’t going to help matters. There’s no magic technical bullet here. We just need to push the cost of spamming far enough over their pain/ROI threshold so that they don’t bother, and also have mechanisms in place so that when they do bother, the posts and accounts go away quickly. No secret sauce required.

2 Likes

first one of the night ! well my night :slight_smile:

I agree with mcalsyn, just let the community be the white blood cells that devour the spammers. A social solution to a social problem. However the spam is most likely automated, so; harden account creation with a capcha.

Yep, and in fine foot in mouth form, I make a suggestion without first checking if it’s been implemented already :-[

I actually kind of miss the spam now (grin) :whistle:

If they come back because of this post, you will be on a list.

only way ill get to hero at the moment

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=21297&page=1#msg201473, here you go

Haha, and the spam came back. https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=21309

you’re on a list. you’re on a list.

looks like the love doctors have given up… oh well back to earning points the hard way

@ Peter Kenyon - Nope, they’re still going, at a much slower rate, so you may not be seeing the “love” unless you’re frequently here

Is the spam blocker really correct ?
Take a look at user profile “SQ5X” and compare his experience points with earned point on recent posts. :think:

He’s made legit posts, there was just a bug.

The love doctors were back tonight

Yep, we’ve just got to be vigilant. I would love to know more about how they operate. It is interesting to me.

If only there was a way to get their phone # so you could contact them…

2 Likes