The SPAM Blockers

The Forum - specially the unread messages - gets quite unusable with these 100eds of spam posts.
And I can not even mark them as Spam anymore.
It’s not fun to seek out the interesting topics between all these really cheap made spam posts :frowning:

I start to belief that this is not “normal spam”. Its to much and to fast. :think:

Dunno what constitutes ‘normal’ spam, but I definitely don’t think they are reaching their target audience here. I do all my own black magic. I’m a maker.

1 Like

May be GHI could limit the ppm (post per minute) or better per hour to lets say 5 or 10 for new users.
At least this would block the 100 spam post plage.

I must admit Im totally bewildered why somebody would bother to send this spam, surely no one ever responds, ???

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - Nothing is more accurate than the judgement of a human in this case, and I think for new users, it should be one strike and you’re out. Automatic measures are just another hurdle for them to get over - they’ll just start creating more accounts if you throttle posts per account.

This stuff is blatant - there’s no fine line here. There should be a select few people with access to immediate delete and ban buttons. A small round-the-clock team of trusted moderators.

At the moment I don’t have any active Netmf projects :’(, but I hang around catching up on all the gossip, and its now all a bit tiresome, on the bright side I have gained a few points blocking this ****

2 Likes

This time I could mark two posts as spam. After that the spam button was grayed again. :frowning:

I think the logic says that if it’s marked as spam and has triggered the person’s spam limit, you can’t mark other messages as spam.

But the flaw is that these posts still exist, they still affect our unread / dashboard view, and therefore totally hide actual activity.

Looks like @ Josh will be busy filling some gaps tomorrow

All spam accounts have been deleted. We will continue to improve this.

2 Likes

@ Gus - Definately better now !!

I agree. Or even lower ranks but a system where two or three people have to ban them for it to go into effect so that there is no accidental/unintentional bans if a first post is misinterpreted.

In the meantime, could I have Josh or Gus’ cell number to call at midnight when the flurry starts again tonight? :smiley:

@ ianlee74 - it is not going to happen again. New users are limited to one post in 24 hours

Hmmm… I think that may be too limiting. Legitimate new users often have lots of questions. Can’t you make it a little more intelligent than that? Something based on posts marked as spam?

I think it is a good quick fix, but I have to agree that it sounds too low - it just has to be low enough that they can’t break out of newbie status. As long as they stay newbie, we can swat them with the spam button.

A really easy thing that I had done with my site was simply to make them click a validation link in their supplied email before being able to post.

It’s a small hassle, but one time and really cuts down on things like this.

Lets us block users. And you can deal with them separately.

Btw, my unread pane is full of crap from this clown.

Can you guys please delete him?

@ ianlee74 - it is only for the very first post. Once they make the first post and wait 24 hours then there is no limits. Maybe we can make it 12 hours.

1 Like

@ Gus - It seems we invariably have to ask newbies to clarify their questions. Will this block their replies, or just new topics? And if just new topics, then they still have an avenue for spamming. Not trying to be a pain in the butt - just want to see this work without hurting the ones we love.