The Next Step

I’m new to the community, I’ve just completed my order for the FEZ Starter kit which i should receive within the next couple of days. With that said, what I look forward to doing, once I complete a design, is to then create a dedicated system on my own, with my own circuitry. So, can anyone tell me where to look on this site to find out how to go about taking a project and putting the programmed circuitry on to a separate soldered board? Or will i be one to start this? Just kidding, but any advise on this process would be appreciated.

Regards,
kennyg

Are you planning on using one of the Gadgeteer mainboards and wiring up your own module or are you talking about everything being your own?

You will want to have a look at the Gadgeteer source code here
https://gadgeteer.codeplex.com/

I don’t know if you have seen Gadgeteer before but you might want to watch this to see how Gadgeteer looks in Visual Studio

@ kgibbons1963 - Discussions here tend to be centered around prototyping, however, there have been many boards created. See Community Creations for some of those offered by members. I don’t believe there is a tutorial, etc. specifically aimed at moving a prototype Gadgeteer setup to a unified board, but people here seem always glad to help out with words of wisdom. Poke around here and you’ll soon figure out who the major contributors are and what’s been done. I’m a software developer, no real hardware experience. I started out with a Panda II, and now I’m preparing to assembly prototypes of my own board with an STM32F4 (ala Cerebus) running .NETMF this week. This site has been a major resource in that endeavor. Welcome to the forum!

@ KennyG, welcome to the forum (and cool music by the way, very calming :wink: )

The few points I’d throw out there for you are that GHI give you a few good starters to get on your way here. They have the “reference” designs for their devices like the Cobra II and the Cerberus that you can use to help create your own device (I couldn’t quickly see one for the G400 - but I don’t know which starter kit you’ve bought either). Many of the modules (although not all) also have design files available, so you can literally take a module’s design, the mainboard design, merge them together and route wires to the appropriate pins and achieve on a single PCB the required configuration, which is a pretty powerful position to be in (in my view), and quite simple to achieve.