The new low Gadgeteer prices!

Yes, codeshare is fine for sharing my project. It isn’t really collaborative though. Yes, codeplex can be collaborative - but only if we create a community there. That is exactly the kind of thing we need.
[/quote]

I have a codeplex user: “osre”

And Iot Labs has a Wifi module that Justin has been testing on the way.
https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=15682

I see that SeeedStudio has now discontinued selling their Gadgeteer modules and are now pointing customers to GHI to purchase them.

I dont know. At first I was excited to hear that about the coming changes and Microsoft’s recommitment to Gadgeteer but @ HughB got me to thinking that maybe people really are getting out.

@ khalilm - you will see a lot from Microsoft and GHI. We still love and support gadgeteer

SeeedStudio have “Grove” which seem that they are focusing on now. “Grove” now has a large range of modules. But still arduino.

@ Gus - I look forward to seeing what GHI and Microsoft have for the future with gadgeteer. Speaking personally my action on the news of “lower gadgeteer prices” is actually not the lower prices but the feeling GHI is maybe not going to show future commitment to gadgeteer by discontinuing a large range of modules. I have been left thinking what next…

Perhaps for me anyway, holding back reducing prices/discontinuing module until you were really announce what Microsoft and GHI have in the future would have left with a more positive feeling.

Cannot wait for the announcements to start… ;D

Discontinuing modules and lowering prices can have many reasons:

• A change in Interface Socket for a possibly upcoming Gadgeteer 2 standard (like already discussed (njbunch?)
  • Removing redundancy with modules available else where (community, seed, …)
  • Making place for new upcoming modules which will replace the old ones, but can not be announced yet (marketing or NDA wise)

I see it as an attempt to reduce the software testing/documentation burdon when releasing new versions of NETMF.

It appears Medusa and Lynx got dropped? If so I have mixed thoughts on that. I did have some plans for Medusa and Lynx, oh well.
If however it means more developer focus on core products I’m ok with it.

This is very sad news :frowning: So many projects that will not be possible anymore.

When (if ever) will the remaining stock of ‘sold old’ Legacy products be sold off? I don’t want to miss that.

This is very, very disappointing. In our school we have introduced the Gadgeteer system and designed appropriate didactical concepts, which include most of the modules no longer offered now. Basic experiments in the field of robotics are hardly possible now.

LarsO, what modules in robotics field will you need? Can you please name a few.

I hope that was sarcasm. The Distance US3, Reflector R3, Stepper L6470, IO60P16, Barometer, Color Sensor, and GPS are some of the obvious ones. All Gone!!

2 Likes

Reflector R3 Module, Distance US3 Module, ColorSense Module, Stepper L6470 Module,…

A big advantage of the gadgeteer system is the simple assembling without soldering. This is ideal for pupils who begin to deal with this content. Without the mentioned modules important sensors have to be assembled using foreign components. In most of our cases this is absolutely not ideal…

2 Likes

I was surprised about the stepper l6470 module being discontinued.

1 Like

Okay here I were all excited about the gadgeteer, but now the Stepper L6470 Module is going to be discontinued + many more.
Not really excited now :open_mouth:

@ GHI - will you still keep the schematics, layouts and drivers available some where?
So anyone could build the OS modules himself if needed.

1 Like

Sorry, I also have to say this announcement also makesme feel a bit uneasy. When I first started with Gadgeteer about a year or two ago I was so excited by it all and was very impressed with how lively and positive this forum was back then.

Then when Medusa and Lynx appeared on the market I enthusiastically embraced it. But it also re-sparked my interest in regular Arduino again. (Probably one of the dangers GHI must have considered when they started this product line). Since then, I bought a couple of really cool Arduino main boards and shields and have found myself building almost all my projects based on Arduino rather than Gadgeteer from that point. I still troll this forum hoping for some exciting announcements. I always still had it in the back of my mind that eventually I will move back to Gadgeteer eventually as it is such a more elegant system.

But it felt to me that the number of Codeshare and interesting discussions on this forum became less and less over the past year. For now I will continue to build my projects on Arduino and still monitor what developments happens for NETMF and Gadgeteer. I still hope my gut feelings are wrong and that I will return back to the NETMF side at some point.

What kind of problems do you see in NETMF itself?
I think this really depends on what you want to do with it.

As a professional I us it for data collection in an huge industrial machine, where it runs 24/7. Works really well.
Next project is to use it as main controller for our measurement electronics with CAN/LIN Gateway, resistance, voltage and current measurement, …
I think the GHI hardware (G120, G400) is powerful enough to compensate the “reduced execution speed” of NETMF.
Specially that it allows us to use tools we all know well (VS, C#) and even features nearly full debugging capabilities of VS is what it makes so useful to us.
Also the out of the box solutions for using fully featured Ethernet, SD card, display, … reduces our development costs a lot (even if you have to workaround some bugs from time to time)
We also use some tiny atmel controllers as side kicks on the measurement board, but compared to NETMF, programming and debugging is like hell.

Of course, there are issues, but from my point of view, the good things count more.
And if MS invests some more resources to the core, the next generation of NETMF might become even better.

The Gadgeteer stuff is just a small plus for me, that allows rapid prototyping.
But we roughly use it, because we have our own G120 main board, that does not have any Gadgeteer sockets.

3 Likes

What attracted me to “gadgeteer” was the module approach of assembling electronics. A significant portion of my projects are doing prototypes and proof of concepts. I have been using “gadgeteer” for 6 months now mainly on two projects for different clients. A major benefit has been quickly reworking or adding different functionality to meet clients changing requirements. This has really impressed the clients and me! Maybe too much:wall:

I am not an expert with a soldering iron so the module approach has worked great for me. A significant portion of my income is from .Net development so not assembling electronic components every day. My experience developing using “gadgeteer” has been less painful than other projects I have done using android (hardkernel boards) to interface with components.

Plus the GHI modules from my experience have been the best quality I have used. Using modules from different manufacturers/sources concerns me about the quality of the components and drivers.