The new low Gadgeteer prices!

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/creations/entry/29 Is a way better (5" though).

It would be nice to have a OSHW lib on the site where all the ā€œLegacyā€ products are listed with schematics and documentation?

2 Likes

That was an error. It should come back and the price should be lower :slight_smile:

Of course there are community offers like mentioned

Since prices are now down, trust this will not affect quality.

Just noticed that Cobra II extender is now legacy. Will there be a replacement? I ask as I am finishing a customer prototype using this module. I am assuming notā€¦

Bluetooth and RN171 gone ā€“ means: no wireless connections for Open Source Mainboards. Thatā€™s really sad. Will there be a substitute?

Sigh, I read that first post and got a little scared. Weā€™ll just have to wait and see how this turns out.

I have a design laying around somewhere for a Bluetooth board, but itā€™s not entirely mine. I could dig it up.

You can easily plug the 171 module in a xbee module.

1 Like

Several of the modules to be discontinued were very much in the ā€œlimited marketā€ category and probably did not sell very well (if at all). There are a few that would still be nice to have or even ā€œessentialā€, like BT and GPS. A few of us have played around with designs for both and (at least) Iā€™m willing to share, so there might be a decent little side business in it for those that already are selling other modules. Heck, we could even find some central place to put PCB designs and BOM lists for anybody to grab and crank out a small batch occasionally. Iā€™ve got a local shop with a decent small oven and pick and place that would love to fill up free cycles for really competitive rates. Itā€™s the stencil and setup that jack costs up, making that small batch not so cheap. If we could spread that initial cost hit out somehow, it might be worth doing a bit more homework for some hard numbers.

A bit of a thread crasherā€¦ butā€¦ carpe diem.

Time to bring that post suggesting we coalesce our efforts on tindie back to life.

This looks great, I am sad to see he DL40 go, but I guess it just never got traction.

Justin has a BLE module.

Some the last posts are already taking about creating modules and pointing out the community modules, which us exactly what we were going for.

As for manufacturing these modules, GHI has a surprise coming next week :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to see it kept really, it is one of those ā€œopens the doorsā€ modules. What might be beneficial is a few example / showcases that start people thinking how this could be used for expansion of capabilities.

1 Like

I alos dislike retirement of DL40 :(. I canā€™t imagine how to create new daisy link module without DL40.

1 Like

Are there eagle layouts for the discontinued OSH modules??

I must admit Iā€™m quite impressed by the price drop of CAN DW module. 25 -> 6. Sweetā€¦

GHI should show these options for WiFi and Bluetooth in their Catalog and on the Support/Documents side, so that people interested in NETMF/Gadgeteer can see that these (now even cheaper) options for wireless solutions exist. Iā€™m sure there will be some community members who will adapt the drivers.

1 Like

A few of my favorite modules are the FM Receiver and the Matrix LED (which has been on sale for a few months already).

And, I am glad to see these on the list of modules being discontinued. When GHI discounts something, especially on a closeout, the discount is usually a DISCOUNT! If I can predict how many of these I will need for the foreseeable future, I will be set - at a great price.

The focus on fewer modules, while limiting the offerings, will probably mean more focus on the surviving modules. Better docs, better dev guides, better drivers.

So, one thing we need is a very easy way to support modules ourselves as a user community. Where do I publish the enhanced driver I have for the I/R Receiver module? The existing driver supports only a basic RC5 p[rotocol. I have added RC5X and would like to add even more protocol support. We need a place to really add and publish user value.

I hope for great things from this shift. Thanks Gus and Team.

codeshare? codeplex? and many others, already available and what other do
[/quote]

Yes, codeshare is fine for sharing my project. It isnā€™t really collaborative though. Yes, codeplex can be collaborative - but only if we create a community there. That is exactly the kind of thing we need.