The Galaxy Zoo needs you!

The telescopes imaging galaxies throughout the Universe generate a substantial amount of data and scientists need help sifting through all of it. Galaxy Zoo is an interactive program that allows users (you!) to classify the galaxies based on shape. This helps astronomers determine how they are formed. A short tutorial is all that’s required to get started on this citizen science project.

Good luck and I hope all of you see some amazing images :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ Devin - SPAM!!! lol Just joking…

Where is a link?

@ Aron - I totally forgot to put the link up there haha.

It’s only the most important part of the post xD But I got it now!

@ Aron, I didn’t realize the min posts before you can post links also applied to employees. :wink: You need to help Devin get his face on his Avatar so we can see who this new guy is.

@ ianlee74 - That is his face, he is in the Gadgeteer Protection Program. 8)

[quote=“Devin”]The telescopes imaging galaxies throughout the Universe generate a substantial amount of data and scientists need help sifting through all of it. Galaxy Zoo is an interactive program that allows users (you!) to classify the galaxies based on shape. This helps astronomers determine how they are formed. A short tutorial is all that’s required to get started on this citizen science project.

Good luck and I hope all of you see some amazing images :slight_smile:

This very much reminds me of a graphically interactive version of Seti@ Home. Which is also another amazing community science project if you have not heard of it. However, you don’t have to do anything but install a Screen Saver :smiley:

GPP - Copyright 2014

I’ll get my face on here soon enough. But I’m not new at all, I’ve been with GHI longer than anyone in the company besides Gus and Josh haha :stuck_out_tongue:

I just don’t post very often is all. I’m not a developer so I don’t really have much to bring to the table, but I might be posting more science-related things more often now :slight_smile:

Pick your favorite: List of volunteer computing projects - Wikipedia

This type of computing is used internally by some very large companies… When I worked for Red Hat, I was rented-out to do some consulting with some of Wall Street’s financial giants (you know, the ones that helped crash the economy in '08); anyway, one of them had all their employees across the world, leave their pc’s on 24x7. The corporate math/statistical gurus used them to analyze market trends for all kinds of bizarre stock derivatives, hedge funds, indices, et cetera. Helped them execute computer based buy/sell/transfer on a massive scale. All very scary stuff. They had some pretty sophisticated software to manage the computational network and parallelize the work. ( Stock market prediction - Wikipedia )

That’s what I thought of as well – and Folding@ home.