The Gadgeteer book

if you open it in Microsoft office then all the formatting will be messed up.

Then Iā€™d respectfully suggest you fix that. If you want folks to help, telling them they have to use an office suite that few people use isnā€™t likely to get you a lot of takers.

Iā€™d love to help, but I use MS Office, not Open Office, and Iā€™m not prepared to install additional software just to edit this one document. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m not alone there. :snooty:

1 Like

It looks like the problem is with Microsoft Office not the pdf document. Using Acrobat to save it as a Word file works correctly.

@ devhammer - fair enough. User any software you like. I can fix the formatting later

Nice read.

The only thing I am missing is the code examples in VB.Net.

1 Like

@ Gus - sounds like @ marius just volunteered to supply the VB.NET examples. Add him to the rotation :wink:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how it works at our place tooā€¦ First person to mention it, gets it. We like to think of it as a great learning opportunity :smiley:

@ ianlee74, @ Jason - we donā€™t play by your rules 8)

You learn not to mention it. :wink:

Completed, with a section about VB https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/Gadgeteer/NET_Gadgeteer_for_beginners.pdf

Time to proofread and fix things.

I am not sure about adding a networking section. Maybe IoT deserves its own book.

Feedback is most welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the number of questions that are posted, relative to getting an IP address that is not 0.0.0.0, answers the question whether their should be a networking section in the beginners book.

Agreed. A very simple ā€œHello Worldā€ demo networking style would be great. If you really want to make it interesting, you could stand up a web API and website where you would be able to view the frequency at which beginners are working through the book and joining the community of users. That would be an interesting way to gain some really useful insight.

The book now has networking. It should be complete. Any other topics you like covered in the book?

I am working on netmf book, bringing it back lol. And also the internet of things book, also bringing it back!

I am trying to keep everything generic so you can use any netmf or gadgeteer product, even the ones not from GHI. You own non GHI products, please try them and tell me if all is generic or clearly marked.

Any volunteers to try the examples in the gadgeteer book?

5 Likes

I plan to work through the book, although it may take a couple of weeks.

I was hoping for a chapter on visual COBOL, though.

1 Like

Since this is beginner material, there probably should be some basic info about C# or at least a link to an introduction.

@ suitable1 - That would be the other book that covers C# and NETMF :slight_smile: working on bringing it back.

A link should do the job then. You never know which one might be started first.

I thought that was funnyā€¦ :open_mouth:

The link is dead :frowning:
https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/man/TinkerKitGuide.pdf

@ mediplex - where did you get the link? That was the old link.

See the gadgeteer support page for the correct link

1 Like