The debugging target is not in an initialised state - MS Visual Studio Express 2010

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I looked for similar threads and couldn’t find a solution that worked for me.

The above error is reported by Visual Studio Express 2010 when I try and run with the Fez Spider 1.0

I installed the update which went okay when I first installed all the software and drivers.

Although visual studio first displays a FEZ hydra in the design tool, you can switch this to the Fez Spider from the toolbox (it took me long enough to figure this out).

I also switch all the dip switches back to off after running the update. I’ve got a button/lcd screen and camera plugged in and all the lights are on fine and the screen is displaying a few bits of information.

The simple programs that I’ve tried to run are fine in Console debugging/running.

When I go to project>properties and I then try to switch transport to USB, it gives device: EMX_GADGETEER as the only option, so I have selected that.

When I try to build/run the code it looks happy, then the spider display clears; says GDI; then reboots as before. Visual studio gives the error “the debugging target is not in an initialised state”.

Any help would be really really appreciated as I’ve had 3 hours with this kit and so far not got anything out of it!

Welcome to the community!

• try different USB port
  • try to use external power source

Thanks for the very quick reply.

I have tried a different USB port; also taken out another device on the USB port in case that was a problem; and also taken it down to just the screen to reduce power. It still has the same error.

I can’t check with external power as the kit didn’t come with a power adapter. I will check at work tomorrow to see if someone can help me out on that front.

Do I assume therefore that it’s most likely to be underpowered and not something that I’ve set up wrong - or is this just “check these things first in case”?

once again, many thanks for the super fast reply.

What is the processor speed on your PC? :o

2GHz P6100 Dual Core, 4GB RAM.

@ Mike

Still having that 3GHz issue or did you find the solution?

@ Valen

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I still have the problem on two machines. GHI has been working hard on the issue, but is unable to reproduce. I am trying to recreate the problem on a PC that I can send to GHI.

Sorry to hear that :frowning:

Do you have a powered hub?

I suspect the LCD takes a fair bit of juice. Many USB ports simply can’t provide what the USB spec dictates (which is REALLY annoying). A powered hub is the best way to go. It’s more reliable than external power when debugging as well.

I’ve seen the same error happen when I had a bad tight loop in different NETMF devices in the past, but not on the Gadgeteer devices so far.

It’s also possible you’ve run into the issue Mike and I have had: the Hydra has some difficult-to-diagnose issue with deploying over USB possibly when you have a 3+ghz machine and possibly when running at 64 bit host OS. No one has come up with a repro scenario just yet. More details in this thread: http://tinyclr.com/forum/21/5470/

Pete

[quote]The above error is reported by Visual Studio Express 2010 when I try and run with the Fez Spider 1.0

I installed the update which went okay when I first installed all the software and drivers.

Although visual studio first displays a FEZ hydra in the design tool, you can switch this to the Fez Spider from the toolbox (it took me long enough to figure this out).[/quote]

Wait. I was answering thinking you had a Hydra. I see you have a Spider. As you mentioned, you don’t want a Hydra on the design surface in Visual Studio, you want a Spider.

I haven’t seen any issues with deploying to the Spider.

I recommend going through the firmware setup again in case something didn’t complete when you did the deployment. When you installed the bits, did you allow the installer to update the Spider firmware? If not, you’ll need to do that.

Pete

I allowed the installer to update the firmware on the spider, then thinking this might have possibly gone wrong, I reupdated the firmware again.

I ran MFDeploy and can ping the device.

Everything powers and the screen displays - there is nothing else running off the USB now (but appreciate that from a laptop it may be underpowered.

I tried putting in a DC external; although it powered the LEDs and screen, it doesn’t seem to boot like that and disconnects the USB when DC is connected - tried 7,9,12V.

I will try a reinstall of the firmware again, but doubt this will help; has anyone else got any solutions? Is this more likely that my computer has been setup wrong, or more likely to be a FezSpider hardware problem?

I have run the updater again and watched as it happily updates the firmware. Reset all DIP switches to the off position (position closest to the reset button).

The error in visual studio still comes up.

I’m at a bit of a loss! The hardware seems pretty useless if I can’t run programs on it!

Call GHI and point this thread out. We will step you through it.

Hi all…

I spoke to Gus who was very helpful and went through everything as I’d set it up.

I’m not entirely clear what was wrong, but I was using an older version of MFDEPLOY. We ran the newer version with ping and connect and then a visual studio application and everything is now working with a hello world program on the device.

I’ll post again if I get more problems, but at least I now know that all the hardware is working!

I’ve now built a simple camera that takes a picture and puts it on the LCD. All is working well. Yipee!!!

So redeploy firmware with a newer version of MFDeploy? Install 4.2?

No for 4.2. He had some weird version of mfdeploy. I am not sure where he downloaded it from.

I’d got an old version of MFDeploy, not realising it was installed and in some folder!

The version I got was from: .NET Micro Framework Firmware Deployment Tool (MFDeploy) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download

It’s from 2007. So my advise is perhaps not to use this!

But I didn’t have to update firmware again. Just ran the new MFDeploy and Connect / Reset / Connect. Then all worked fine.

@ jayf

Oooh, a chance to rant! :slight_smile: I hate download mirrors like that.

FWIW never EVER (never ever? Never never ever ever*) download anything from them, for anything. They don’t keep versions up to date. They do just enough to get a high search ranking and then fill the page with ads. Yes, even semi-ok ones like cnet are unreliable at best. The worst ones have malware, trojans and viruses so you don’t know what you’re actually downloading. Anyone can put up a “verifed by xyz virus scanner” banner.

The scariest thing is when those sites offer drivers for your PC. shudder

In any case, glad this particular one got sorted out :slight_smile:

Pete

• yeah, so spongebob is on the tube right now in the other room

Funny :slight_smile: