"Thanks" system

Yes, we have a great community with php developers around.
Why can’t they create it? Should not be hard ;D

Because GHI doesn’t want to expose their board code. Once they do, someone will figure out a way of breaking it. I keep any PHP code I develop as proprietary and unpublished, partially for this reason.

If you do your security right, this kind of thing should be impossible, but it’s still neve good puttiing that sort of thing out there.

I’d like to bring this back from the dead, with a suggestion:

A karma system that gives points. You get no points for posting, however you would get a point for each “thumbs up” a user gives you for your post, and lose a point for a “thumbs down”. This way, it’s up to users to decide if a post is worthy of getting points or not. This would encourage users who would like to gain points from posting on the forum rather than (or in addition to) doing work that gets them bonus xp a chance to help people out and be thanked for it. Those who just like posting rubbish will (most likely) quickly find that it hurts their experience and (hopefully) decide to contribute in a more constructive manner.

There would have to be some safeguards against people who just down vote everything to be tards, a simple log of who votes what would suffice. This would be able to stop someone from going down a whole thread downvoting everything in sight. It could also be used to stop “haters” - so if i’ve got a grudge against JimmyBobXtreme and i downvote all his posts without ever upvoting him… it would stop counting my downvotes for him for a period of time. I don’t see a problem with up votes, because someone may only post when they feel they can help someone (we have a number of users like that, Mike and Jeff come to mind immediately) so stopping people from always upvoting such users would be a hindrance.

This discussion reminds me of the discussions on Digg (when I still went there) over their ratings system and how every time they changed it someone would figure out how to “work” the system to their advantage by cheating in someway. As someone relatively new to TinyCLR I find the “Ranks” interesting, but not all important. I don’t believe they have affected what I post. If anything it is the “Bonus” points that I look at. If someone has a lot of those, I know they have been a major contributor to the community. I hope the team never has to spend too much time on this issue, because there are more pressing matters I’m sure.

-Eric