Tech Talk with Gus 06 - TinyCLR

Today we talk about TinyCLR operating system, a new path for replacing .NET Micro Framework on GHI Electronics’ products.

12 Likes

Very exciting news. Looks like the number of boards available to run netmf will be exploding. :clap:

1 Like

@ Gus - When will the unwashed masses be able to start working with the TinyCLR?

@ munderhill - We really can’t wait to share what we have but it is too early. We are planning to make a public alpha preview as soon as we have it put together. If you were a good boy, Santa may bring you something in time :wink:

FEZ is always good.

How does this relate to : Renewing our commitment to NETMF ( https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=23826 )

Is TinyCLR the demonstration of that commitment?

Wasn’t TinyCLR.com from back in the USBizi days (Domino and Panda)? You may need to resurrect that domain! :slight_smile:

Correct TinyCLR is our commitment to moving NETMF forward. However, we changed the name to clear any confusion or legal issues.
Also correct, TinyCLR.com is ours and it will be the home of TinyCLR Operating System.

1 Like

Sounds nice :)… I’m looking forward to the release :)… Will there be new devices, and/or does TinyCLR work on the existing ones?

Could TinyCLR work on previous gadgeteer board ? (Spider, …)

@ Bauland - He says Cortex-M, which means no Spider (it was ARMv7).

… we have the STM32H7 @ 400MHz coming …

… maybe someone or some company is bold enough to base a new netmf board on it …

Sorry I’ve missed that !

Gus you shaved?!

I wonder if this operating system can run on the Octavo Module. Would be nice if it replaced the Debian kernel.

(Before I get stomped on for suggesting replacing the Debian kernel, I’d just like to say, that the Linux os the module runs currently is far too large and complex for my needs. What I need for my robotics is a fast platform (ghz) that can sample position data and send out commands faster than the machine can physically execute those commands, in the comfort of c#. I’ve already looked at stripping down Debian for my needs but somehow it seems easier to build up than tear down)

1 Like

@ Mr. John Smith - He says Cortex-M, which means no Octavo module (it’s a Cortex-A8 ).

Also, if you need NETMF in the GHz range, instead use native code on a Cortex-M in the <100 MHz range, it’ll be faster.

Also, when Gus says “operating system” don’t read too much into that. There’s no OS here as it would be classically understood; it’s still just NETMF with a new name.

@ Mr. John Smith - it is defiantly a possibility. Things will defiantly run fast and the setup would be easy. However, we are starting with focus in mind, cortex m 3/4 for now.

Running on cortex m0 would also be very nice on the other side of the spectrum. We are just getting started, let’s talk about this in a few months.

@ Gus - So I reckon M7 is out of scope for the moment … :whistle:

This .NETMF architecture diagram does shows an OS as optional except for when using networking.

[url]https://github.com/NETMF/netmf-interpreter/wiki/Architecture[/url]

If I remember correctly from other references / posts the addition of the OS should aid in networking stability.

Could be interesting to see the direction GHI takes this initiative in!

Do you know that m3 binaries just run on m7? :wink:

@ Gus - I did that with an STM32F7 Nucleo-144 board it did not even get close to an origional cerb-40. NetMF 4.4, same programm, cerb 40 somewhere about 2:40 for a 200 digit pi calc that took more than 10 minutes to run on an F746 … :open_mouth:

@ Gus - to be clear, running on an A8 might be possible, replacing the Debian kernel is not possible :slight_smile:

@ .Peter. - Most likely you were underclocking the Discovery board.

@ godefroi - It was running at full 216 MHz …

As can be seen here:
[url]https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=23694&page=1#msg220000[/url]

Or see here for more details:
[url]https://github.com/NETMF/netmf-interpreter/issues/482[/url]