Task Tracker - Fields VolumeID and SerialNumber within VolumeInfo class are not working

I just posted Fields VolumeID and SerialNumber within VolumeInfo class are not working on Task Tracker. Feel free to discuss and make suggestions here.

I think this is related to internal file system issue in Microsoft’s code.

I understood it differently:
https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=15101&page=1#msg158234

Fields VolumeID and SerialNumber within VolumeInfo class are not working was updated.

Priority went from Unassigned to Trivial.

@ iamin - VolumeId should already be added in the SDK. If you have an issue with it, you can create a thread on it. We will look into adding serial number though.

We added VolumeID already, we are thinking about SerialNo.

John, Dat, I think you are talking about [em]VolumeLabel[/em], not [em]VolumeID[/em]. [em]VolumeLabel[/em] was fixed recently, [em]VolumeID[/em] always shows 0 (it should be xxxx-xxxx).

:dance:

Fields VolumeID and SerialNumber within VolumeInfo class are not working was updated.

Status went from Proposed to Open.

Status went from Open to Closed.
[line]For VolumeId, that is set by Microsoft and is essentially the index of the volume, so it’ll often be 0. For SerialNumber, it appears to be an issue on Microsoft’s end. See https://netmf.codeplex.com/workitem/2338.

VolumeID. That is not zero. Look at my attached print screen. You can see volume serial number before formatting SD card (FAT32) and after that. As you can see, VolumeID is not zero and it changes (as it should be).

SerialNumber. I think it is not correct: “serial number field which corresponds, for FAT volumes at least, to the volume serial number field”. SD card serial number is fixed and it is stored in CID, while volume serial number is generated every time you format it.
If I understand it correctly, it was you (GHI) who has fixed VolumeLabel, not MS. Apparently, you have a solution how to fix SerialNumber field, why cannot you fix it as well?

@ iamin - The SerialNumber field in VolumeInfo does not correspond to the SD card serial number. It corresponds to the FAT volume serial number. They set that field randomly in the NETMF format function as well. The FAT serial number field is four bytes, which matches VolumeInfo.SerialNumber. Both SD card serial number and USB drive serial number are quite a bit larger than four bytes.

It might be worthwhile to expose the underlying storage medium serial number, but that would require a lot more work to expose generically.

For VolumeId, I meant the NETMF field in VolumeInfo, not anything Windows might show.

It is not that we can’t fix this, it is that we prefer to let Microsoft fix bugs in the issues in the core when they are not critically important. The VolumeLabel bug was a comparatively simple one – just a few lines in one place. It may have been better to have left it for Microsoft, though.

I see. I was primarily hoping to get SD card serial number. That is a handy feature.

Yes, I totally agree, but there is no sign that MS is going to fix these small bugs any time soon.